SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Helios Naturesport 10x50's or Strathspey Marine 10x50's??

Crebles

I'm interested in some 10x50's, primarily for the glove box, but also to really know what you can and can't see with 10x50's. I have ED glass 8x42's and Apollo 15x70's. I love my bins with individual eyepiece focus, and the bins with ED glass, so I considered the Williams Optics 10x50's - but I fear they may be too heavy despite being v robust.

I'd quite like some 10x50's that are representative of average 10x50's to understand others' impressions recommendations of 10x50's. As such, the 'medium-good' quality Helios Naturesport Plus 10x50's or Strathspey Marine 10x50's have caught my interest.

Anyone got any views on Naturesport Plus versus Strathspey Marine 10x50's (perhaps versus the WO ED 10x50's) please?

Steve T - I've read the section on your website, but I'd particularly like your opinion if you read this.

Simon, I own the Strathspey Marine 10x50, I used to own the Helios Naturesport (but not the "Plus") 10x50 about 10 years ago, and I have used a 10x50 BA8 (but not ED like the WO). I have also used the Strathspey 10x50 Waterproof.

• Optically and mechanically, the BA8 wins hands down but, as you say, is heavier. I probably wouldn't use it as a "glovebox" binocular.
  • I got rid of the Naturesport: I just didn't like it. The "Plus" may be better; I don't know
  • I keep the Strath Marine in the car - it's pretty bomb-proof, but is only really around 10x42.Optically it's pretty sharp. One of the reviews on the Strath website is mine.
  • The Strath WP  is £5 cheaper than the marine, it's a bit brighter, a bit lighter (but not as robust) and has twist-up eyecups, and is about a 10x44. Like most WP CF Porros, there is some focus "lag", because the O-rings do what they are designed to do, but that should not be a problem for astro, as you're not constantly refocusing.

Knowing what I know now, unless the binocular was going to be roughly treated, I'd probably go for the WPs if I was starting afresh and didn't want to pay twice the amount for the BA8.

HTH

• 4 months later...

Crebles.......Hi, since my short trip away, I've decided I also may need a pair of 10x50s and I also have a quick question for ST when he reads this thread.....Steve, were you able to get the 10x50 strathspey marine under the stars?

I want to fill the gap, looks like 10x50s next. Does IF have any real benefits? Though I would probably want to use the binoculars day & Night to be honest, so would probably want CF during the Day! and would there be any  noticeable difference between my 7x50 BK-7 and 10x50 BaK-4, from your experience.

Crebles...are you any further with your choices? I`m still considering the Strathspey 10x50.
I found the result of ST's review, and had another question for him, but the block prevents any PM?
Hopefully just  too many requests from folk, rather than something  I've said?
Maybe other users can answer! If your Strathspey marines were damaged beyond repair, would you hesitate to replace like-for-like or would you choose differently. I was hoping for someone that has used many brands to be able to answer the question.

..........Still undecided! Comparing marines at present, Strathspey 7x50 and Oberwerk 8x40. Its difficult to decide, do I need a 10x50 to fit between the existing bins, or should I just replace the 7x50's with "better optics".

If I bought 10 x 50s  they would get Astro and terrestrial use, so still contemplating if IF focusing  is  a worthy  asset or a hindrance.  I know binoculars wont give me the same views or  power of my 8" in regards to reach and image quality, and I do like the 7x50 format, but my mind is saying there maybe  a bit better out there in the quality stakes over  my present 7x50. They are neither water or fog proof. Off out to see what's available in town?

Archived