Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which short refractor and are there any known differences

I would love some help please.

I have my celestron c70 which is OK for travel but I guess I dislike the very precise tight eye positioning.

In a position again with vouchers to look at getting a small refractor, tripod will not be needed.

I was thinking of the startravel 80.

but I see on Amazon UK (have to use as where vouchers are) there is also the following models.

Skywatcher startravel 80

Orion short tube 80

Orion starblast 80

Orion goto 80

The only differences so far that I can see of the first two are 400mm focal length and that last two 350mm.

I love the white tube of the Orion shortube 80 and it comes with a star diagonal and carry case.

Does anyone know of any other differences that might affect the viewing experience like optical coatings please?

As far as I'm aware, and someone might like to correct me, the Orion and the Skywatcher ST80 are basically the same telescope - the optics are from the same factory. I don't know so much about the other two, but the extra focal length could be helpful for using magnification on things like planets. Widefield refractors are not planetary scopes though! large extended objects like big open star clusters fit in the low-power field of the ST80 and Orion version very easily. A carry case sounds like a useful extra, although the ST80 is small enough to go in a backpack and mount on a camera tripod.

I love my ST80!

DD

Thank you for replying

Will be used for day time use as well and have decided I will have to live with any ca.

Also the weight of these I think is quite light as that is what is great about the c70 any larger a mak the weight shot up.

Off to check the weights out.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a decision, went for the Orion Short Tube over the Skywatcher one, for three reasons:

1 - I think I prefer the idea of a fixed dove bar on the bottom which has several standard tipod threads on it as well

2 - I am very fortunate to have vouchers to use again so was a slightly fivilous choice and cost me the same as a second hand one

3 - I love the white tube

Have found a video from astronomy shed on what mods to do to make the most of it and I have plans for making a padded bag for it, which I will post in the DIY section when I get to do these things.

Archived