NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope alignment with other software

bcfcciderhead

Been having problems with my synscan controller ( non responsive buttons, power issues) so come to a conclusion I need a replacement.

But do I?, I only use it in PC direct mode so I can use EQmode and stellirum.

The only time I use the controller is for set up, date time etc and 2 star alignment, if it lasts that long.

Can I use the EQdirect cable and do away with the synscan controller?

If that is the case how would I align the scope?, it's in an obsy so hopefully only need to do this once.

It's all working fine with EQmode and stellirum and I control the scoop with an xbox game pad.

I'm hoping the synscan controller will keep going to let do the alignment but it never does, if it does and the scope is aligned and working well with stellirum then can I ditch the controller for a EQdirect cable?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk - now Free (I like free)

EQMOD works with things called alignment points which I think is what you're after. Basically, you slew the scope to a target chosen in stellarium, then use EQMOD to make fine adjustment so your target is centred and then set the alignment point in EQMOD.

I'm sure there are videos on youtube by the EQMOD creator that cover this that you might find useful.

Do away with the hand controller completely and use it with an EQDIRECT adapter.  You do your alignment with EQMOD / Stellarium, you centre a star and hit Sync in EQMOD.  The major benefit is that you can choose any suitable star in Stellarium so you're not just limited to the list the hand controller gives you.

As you already have ASCOM installed and use EQMOD, indeed, you don't need to use the handset for alignment.  As the 2 previous posts have noted, you can use Stellarium or (as I do) Carte du Ciel (and there are probably others available too!). 

You obviously already have your mount (handset) attached to a laptop and the two "talking" to each other, so starting from the "park" position, you just tell Stellarium/CdC to slew to a star you know and can see (say, Capella) and when the mount has slewed around, take an image.  If Capella's not in the FoV, loosen the clutches to manually shift the scope to centre Capella, (take another image), and when you have the "known" star in the FoV, tighten the clutches up and make any additional adjustments by using EQMOD NSEW button (or in your case, your XBOX controller, but whatever you do, DON'T LOOSEN THE CLUTCHES AGAIN :smiley:).... and when the star is centred, press sync.

I now only ever do a 1 star alignment to start - I choose the nearest "known" star to the DSO I want to image and sync (and then focus) on that and then slew to the DSO to frame.  Depending on your data capture software(?), you can then look into plate-solving/pinpoint astrometry - With this it's then possible to plate solve a previous image (not necessarily your own) and tell the mount to goto that position.  Although I've never managed it :rolleyes:, there are some who are able to slew to within a few pixels of a position they were at the time before....

As you're obsy-based, it's actually even easier - You can set different park positions in EQMOD (ie, As I only have a pier, I have to remove the OTA after each session - My park position is therefore to the horizontal as opposed to the traditional park position of "weights down" so I can remove the scope easier).  Once you've done your first alignment, and then parked back to it, as long as you park after each session and don't loosen your clutches, you should be able to power up and get any star in your FoV within the first slew every time.... (although you may still need to use your XBOX controller to tweak your alignment occasionally).  Over time, and on the assumption you don't loosen the clutches and always park/unpark, you can potentially "model" the entire available sky from your obsy... but you also need to make sure that you're always well polar aligned and any cone error is kept to a minimum to make that work really well...

Thanks a lot for the reply's guys very helpful indeed.

Was hoping I can do away with hand controller.

I'm guessing I don't need to enter the time and date as it uses the laptops time and date, same with long/lat?

It's all polar aligned so I just need to do star alignments as stated.

Thanks for your time to write all you did Andyuk, that was very helpful.

Just want this rain to stop this month so I can give it a go

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk - now Free (I like free)

Archived