NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A few DSO's I've taken

lil_coz

Hey all,

I just wanted to share some pictures that I've taken. These were my first attempt at serious AP and they were all taken on the 27th of December 2013. From memory, all images are single 30s exposures, except for M31 (which was about 4-5 images stacked), and the Whirlpool (which was 2-3 images stacked). No special processing, just a bit of fiddling in PS. I didn't even know about darks and bias pics until I spoke with you knowledgeable folk :smiley: That's something for when I'm next out! No filters used either, I just threw the DSLR in the focuser to see what's what!

NGC 891
NGC891.jpg

Messier 35
Messier35.jpg

Messier 36
Messier36.jpg

Messier 37
Messier37.jpg

Messier 38
Messier38.jpg

Messier 103
Messier103.jpg

Little Dumbbell Nebula
LittleDumbbellNebula.jpg

Blue Snowball Nebula
BlueSnowballNebula.jpg

Crab Nebula
CrabNebula.jpg

Bode's Galaxy (M81) & Cigar Galaxy (M82)
BodesGalaxyM81ampCigarGalaxyM82.jpg

Cigar Galaxy
CigarGalaxy.jpg

Andromeda, M32, M110
AndromedaM32M110.jpg

Orion Nebula
OrionNebula.jpg

Double Cluster
DoubleCluster.jpg

Eskimo Nebula
EskimoNebula.jpg

Whirlpool Galaxy
WhirlpoolGalaxy.jpg

I like how M31 came out, and I will never forget the moment when the Orion Nebula preview came up on the camera for the first time. I think I actually stopped breathing! lol

Thanks for looking!

great start, warning this astro photography can be very addictive L.O.L.

Yea, I found this one out the hard way! lol It just snuck up on me!

A nice collection, a good nights work :)

In the M35 picture you have also got the small open cluster NGC 2158, to the right and down a bit.

Also another small open cluster NGC 1907 in the pic of M38, above and a bit left.

Thanks for the identifications! I also notice a smudge in my M81 & M82 picture, bottom left.

Off to a nice start.. typically you'd want to capture a bunch of images of the one target and process those, that will help a lot with the noise. 

Agreed, with some more data you could really make good images from that start :icon_salut:

I do like DSO spotting when it is raining outside :) :) ! thanks for the pics

So that's a lot lately eh? lol

Off to a nice start.. typically you'd want to capture a bunch of images of the one target and process those, that will help a lot with the noise. 

Agreed, with some more data you could really make good images from that start :icon_salut:

Now that I know a bit more about how to take better images, I'll start to focus on 1 object at a time to capture as much data as possible.

On that night, I took one picture, loved it and wanted to picture everything in the sky possible!! lol That's something I'll have to fight myself from doing. I just want to see everything! I'm greedy like that lol :rolleyes:

Archived