Advice on 2nd hand telescope purchase

Hi all,

I've been lurking at astrophotography forums around the internet for a few weeks, and I've decided I'm ready to jump in. I own a Nikon D3100 camera with a 18-55mm (f/3.5-5.6) and a 55-200 (f/4-5.6) lens.  Right now I'm looking to buy a beginner telescope. To be clear, my goals are to capture images of the planets and the moon primarily. Seeing or imaging DSOs is not a must. 

My budget for the telescope +  mount is €300, so I soon found out you can't really buy decent quality equipment for this price. I then started searching at local 2nd hand websites and I found this:

http://www.kapaza.be/nl/foto/telescoop--skywatcher-n-150-750-explorer--garantie-81251461.htm (most of it is in English)

This guy sells a telescope with a lot of extras for a seemingly reasonable price. My main concern is the small aperture.

Would you buy this telescope and how high would you go in a bid war?

Best regards,

Daun

Good scope but the mount is the minimum for this scope. You need good steel legs for astro phpotgraphy not the weal alloy ones in the photo. (You also need a 'driven' mount to take photo's this is not a driven mount.

Keep looking is my advice!

Cheers

Ron

Hi Daun and welcome to SGL :)

I wouldn't spend more than circa £150 on that scope and it would have to be in mint condition and only a month or two old.

The ota is good, but the mount is very flimsy and the claim that it is "compact and wind resistant" is nonesense. I started with one of these 150's on and EQ3-2 mount and that gave a lot of vibration even when used on a totally calm day. It vibrates even when you touch the controls. Also forget what the advert says about "fine scales" for alignment and finding - the scales aren't accurate enough to be usable and only get you in the general area of your target at best.

It would be much better on an EQ5 or CG5 mount - much better damping - and with an RA motor would be capable of elementary imaging of planets.

It's a good starter scope but for observing only - I don't see any extras over and above what is normally supplied - and it's seems grossly overpriced for a second hand one of this model. Here's a brand new one with full waranty:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

Hope that helps :)

(Oh by the way - you'll need a webcam for imaging planets - it's possible with a dslr but nowhere near as easy as using a webcam)

The 150 EQ3 combo is a very Nice starter Scope for sure. With still 6 months warranty, you can't really go wrong on that.

You can buy a motor Upgrade for the EQ3 Mount in the future to get it tracking. Then, if you align the Mount properly (lot of youtube videos on the net that will explain how to) you will be able to take some basic Pictures of the moon.

For planets it's best to use a planetary camera. You can start cheap by modifying sertain cheap suitable webcams. Lots of topics on this forum with guides how to.

For deepsky.... you will need to be prepared to spend quite a bit more.

Hi Daun and welcome to SGL :)

I wouldn't spend more than circa £150 on that scope and it would have to be in mint condition and only a month or two old.

The ota is good, but the mount is very flimsy and the claim that it is "compact and wind resistant" is nonesense. I started with one of these 150's on and EQ3-2 mount and that gave a lot of vibration even when used on a totally calm day. It vibrates even when you touch the controls. Also forget what the advert says about "fine scales" for alignment and finding - the scales aren't accurate enough to be usable and only get you in the general area of your target at best.

It would be much better on an EQ5 or CG5 mount - much better damping - and with an RA motor would be capable of elementary imaging of planets.

It's a good starter scope but for observing only - I don't see any extras over and above what is normally supplied - and it's seems grossly overpriced for a second hand one of this model. Here's a brand new one with full waranty:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

Hope that helps :)

It's still 120 Euros price difference tho. It says it still has 6 months warranty. So if it's in mint condition, I guess the price ain't too bad really. He probably will be able to negotiate and get some off the price.

Lots of People buy these Scopes, then end up never using it as they are too lazy to learn the sky. Selling it again in new unused condition.

He only has a 300 euro Budget. The EQ5 Mount alone will already eat up that budget. And that is without the motor/GoTo Upgrade.

My slight concern is this bit:

To be clear, my goals are to capture images of the planets and the moon primarily. Seeing or imaging DSOs is not a must.

That is basically the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn. To get Mars you will need better equipment then is often expected, Mars is just basically too small.

In 6 months Jupiter will be gone, Saturn will be dropping away.

So what will the imaging be then?

Simply I suspect that DSO imaging will happen sooner rather then later.

Thanks for the fast advice guys. I think I'll wait for 2-3 months, my budget can go up to 500-600 euros then. 

I'll keep myself busy with wide field shots until then - provided that the sky clears some time! It's been cloudy for 3 weeks!

Thanks for the fast advice guys. I think I'll wait for 2-3 months, my budget can go up to 500-600 euros then. 

I'll keep myself busy with wide field shots until then - provided that the sky clears some time! It's been cloudy for 3 weeks!

No way to edit posts around here? 

Is it possible to mount my Nikon D3100 on a motorized mount? I might be able buy a mount right now and then save up for a decent telescope...

No way to edit posts around here? 

Is it possible to mount my Nikon D3100 on a motorized mount? I might be able buy a mount right now and then save up for a decent telescope...

Absolutely! If you can squeeze up Your Budget to 600-700 euros, you will be able to buy the Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Mount and buy a dovetail adapter plate to Mount Your DSLR straight onto the Mount.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p237_TS-Dovetail-Mounting-Bar-Vixen-Style---buttonhole-and-1-4--Screw.html

I am getting back into Astronomy myself and doing exactly this. I am currently saving up for the NEQ6 Pro, start playing around With my old rusty Canon 400D (gonna be very challenging without live view, but I don't mind), while I continue saving up for a Scope I am gonna buy later in June.

It will give me plenty of time drilling myself into the Polar and drift allignment procedures. :p

All good advice above - here's a couple to compare with your advert:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=77568

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=74586

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=76737

Check out the prices and convert to Euro's. These second hand ones would be just as good as the scope in your advert. It's not so much the scope that's bad - but the advert is gross exaggeration and the scope way overpriced. It suggests to me a supplier who's sole interest is to make money with no regard for realistic or honest description.

Claiming the set up is "wind resistant" is not what any reputable supplier would do. Just my opinion of course but I wouldn't buy a wurst from that company lol :)

I note you are in Belgium so you're not able to access the UK second hand market which is very bouyant and active. A good rule of thumb second hand for an easily obtainable (current model) scope package is 50% to 66% of the new price when in first class condition. This means that the owner knew what he was doing when he was using it, storing it and (in extreme) cleaning it. This can also apply to a good starter scope like the 150p/NEQ3 package if it was bought but hardly used during its six months in someone's home.

Archived