NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Active USB cable question

ollypenrice

Hi folks, can anyone tell me if this kind of active USB cable extension will OK in an observatory based situation? I'd like them to run CCD cameras for imaging and guiding.

This is a French site but I think you IT types will still be able to advise me!  http://www.amazon.fr/Rallonge-USB-Active-avec-amplification/dp/B0018YF0YS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390395101&sr=8-2&keywords=cable+usb+actif

I know a powered hub is an alternative but having got all my com ports performing in a stable manner after a bit of a trial I don't want to disturb the setup other than by changing lo longer active cables from shorter passive ones.

Thanks,

Olly

Blimey Stephen, you kept me hanging around for a reply for a good five seconds then! Try and speed it up, will you?  :grin:  :grin:

Many thanks, I hoped this would be the answer.

Much appreciated, 

Olly

I shall go and punish myself most severely :)

We've found from experience that not all active USB 2.0 extension cables are made equal. I would say buy one and try it, if it works out to be a good one then buy more.

Thanks Cath. By mixing the makes or just by trying several?

Olly

Thanks Cath. By mixing the makes or just by trying several?

We've brought different makes and used then on their own (not mixing). Some have worked with my Canon 500D, some haven't, but they work with other USB equipment.

Hi folks, can anyone tell me if this kind of active USB cable extension will OK in an observatory based situation? I'd like them to run CCD cameras for imaging and guiding.

This is a French site but I think you IT types will still be able to advise me!  http://www.amazon.fr/Rallonge-USB-Active-avec-amplification/dp/B0018YF0YS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390395101&sr=8-2&keywords=cable+usb+actif

I know a powered hub is an alternative but having got all my com ports performing in a stable manner after a bit of a trial I don't want to disturb the setup other than by changing lo longer active cables from shorter passive ones.

Thanks,

Olly

its exactly the same one as i use but mine is 15m

Velvet

Are you feeling OK Olly?

Joking aside, that looks fine. I use a similar 10 metre cable and it's running only the guide cam as that gave me the most USB issues so I isolated it.

I've split the imaging cam, mount and filter wheel onto it's own repeater cable (this one has a built in hub on one end) as it uses more USB bandwidth for a longer period of time when downloading a full frame.

I'm also getting away with running all of these hubs un-powered at the moment.

Are you feeling OK Olly?

Joking aside, that looks fine. I use a similar 10 metre cable and it's running only the guide cam as that gave me the most USB issues so I isolated it.

I've split the imaging cam, mount and filter wheel onto it's own repeater cable (this one has a built in hub on one end) as it uses more USB bandwidth for a longer period of time when downloading a full frame.

I'm also getting away with running all of these hubs un-powered at the moment.

I'm never feeling OK when I'm involved with all these darned cables!! This is for the dual rig so it's worse than ever...  Plus there's a mystery cable on the Mesu which I don't understand but Yves will doubtless enlighten me. Graon.

Thanks for the splendid replies folks. I ordered the powered cables. The local PC technician insisted that I could use 5 metre unpowered cables but I've heard plenty of astronomers doubt this. What do you guys think?

Olly

I bought a couple of passive USB extension cables about 5m (I think) and never had any problems.  Then I saw an active cable about the same price, so bought one.  The active cable is a bit funny about what it will work with and as I can never remember what does work it is consigned to the spares bin.

I don't think it worked on my Canon, or a QHY5, but did on a focuser.

Robin

I use 2x10 metres active USB  cables - one from a powered USB socket (the yellow one) and one from a standard USB output.

The only issue I ran into was with the QHY5 guide cam as it draws power off the USB cable but I was never 100% satisfied that it wasn't a driver loading issue. With the 16iC I never had a problem. 

I still don't power the hubs at the mount end although I have the facility to do so - it's never needed it.

However,, that will likely change if I ever get round to putting the remote USB focuser onto the steeltrack.

Archived