Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Motorhome Microwaves

Mav359

Hi guys

I have bought an old motorhome for the sole purpose of getting out to dark skies, its already been out to Six Penny Handley and it'll be at SGL9. So far im a happy bunny :grin:

However the oven is naff, i put a steak pie in it for an hour and it was still cold :embarrassed:  So i am removing the oven making the cavity good and installing a microwave.  Much cheaper then buying a new oven.

I was wondering if anyone has had any issues using a 13amp microwave on a 16amp site? I know not all sites (6PH) are 16amp so there i wont be able to but Lucksall (& most Caravan sites) for instance i know is 16amp.

Cheers

We use a travel kettle, toaster, built in fridge, and a 2kw heater - but not all at the same time.

It's easy enough to turn off the 2kw heater while the kettle boils, or the toast pops up.

A less powerful microwave will make it easier to manage

But I assume the microwave will be only be running for 5-minutes maximum anyway.

Just turn off the other big users while the oven is in use.

Is it a true 13amp user?

That would make it 3.3kw

This bog standard one (randomly plucked from the net) is only 700 watt cooking power

http://direct.asda.com/ASDA-17-Litre-Black-Digital-Microwave/001578029,default,pd.html

Even with a 200w motor for the turntable and a 40 watt light bulb, it would be lucky to reach 1.2kw power input (5 amps)

You will need to leave the recommended clearance gap of about 1-2 inches around the outside for ventilation and magnetic interference.

I imagine the old oven cavity is big enough, and designed to dissipate the heat.

Plenty hot soup and porridge at Chez Mav's place then.

Seriously - there shouldn't be a problem unless you have a 40-inch plasma TV, and electric patio heaters plugged in at the same time.

Archived