Best magazine

I have been taking AN for a couple of years and look forward to receiving the next edition. The observing guides cover a wide range of targets and abilities and the science based articles are usually interesting and comprehensible to the average reader.

I have occasionally read S@N but prefer AN.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some awesome tutorials in Astronomy Now, you get imaging tutorials in S@N, for example, but they tend to be 2 pages, quick blast through the basics by the (awesome) Mr Pete Lawrence.

I find AN is a bit more detailed - compare the recent articles on coping with objects that have very bright centres and fainter outer regions. I found the AN article far better. Not a comment on the writers' ability at all, more an editorial style decision I suspect. Brilliant article on cleaning CCDs too in AN which I think would be a bit outside the scope of S@N. S@N seems more focused on the world of astro in general, popular science, and of course the TV programme in more detail. It is I presume an accompaniment to the programme after all.

Although I get both magazines at the moment as S@N always seems to be on discount!

cheers

I get S@N on subscription. It does me so much good it should be on subscription. I usually flick through Astronomy Now at our local newsagents and buy if there's anything of interest.

Being an observer I usually don't understand the first bits about pulsars, quasars , black hole gravity and neutrino thingies,

Old Nick.

I used to buy the odd issue of S @  N but now only buy AN, as I find the editorial a bit more intelectual. Time was, the only astronomy mag I could find was S&T and that only in our local reference librarary.

Archived