Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

REVIEW: Helios 20/40x100 Quantum 'Observation' Binos

Elektra

Mine arrived in a huge, substantially padded outer box. 

Inside, a rather better than expected aluminium reinforced lockable 'suitcase' suitably lined with high compression foam.   Size overall: 23 x 12 x 9 inches.

So far so good...

Opening up revealed the binoculars themselves, snugly seated with a convenient and necessary carry handle, which had been pre-assembled to aid removal.  One of the two pairs of eyepieces supplied had been installed. 

The second pair were stored conveniently within the lining. 

A miniscule pack of silica gel, a simply useless cleaning cloth and an hilariously worded 'Japanese English' instruction book completed the assignment  (".....please use clean pledget to dip pure water for purging the outside of of smudges rather than use organic solvents..."  and ".....our firm is having laid siege to technology improvement in order to show the best products...." etc)

I was knocked-out with the amazing finish!

Hopefully you will get some idea of the quality from the photographs I have posted (link below) 

Essentially they have a bright silver 'metallic' sprayed finish (then clear lacquered most likely) The eye-pieces (both sets) are rubber capped.  The objective lenses have (useless) hard plastic caps, which (on my sample) refuse to stay in place: not a big deal because the lenses themselves are set well back in the housing - and in any case there are integral (collapsible) dew shields, or, as I prefer to call them, lens-hoods.

Jeez - these are heavy - make no mistake - and in reality they feel a lot weightier than the stated 7Kgs.  The integral carry-handle (which I must praise again) though not quite centrally placed to balance corrdctly, is an essential part of this handsome looking piece of kit. 

I have never owned such huge binoculars - they're enormous at 21 inches long (without extending the hoods) and a chunky 10 inch width. 

I own two good tripods.  The largest 'Gitzo' which is made (with a Manfrotto fluid 'video' head) which I thought would be perfect for the Quantum 5s, and another lighter (but taller) 'Redsnapper' with a Manfrotto 'Junior' geared head. 

I tried both; in the end deciding that the 'Redsnapper' was up to the job, and the geared head (though likely working at its limit, weight-wise) the better choice for night sky work.  (Tracking the moon, or what we saw of it this evening through dense cloud, was a piece of cake.) Can't wait now for some really clear skies to give this rig a proper test

I am brand new to astronomy, and today was the first time in my long life that I have used binoculars 'better' than my trusted 1943 vintage 6x30s, so as you can imagine, I was literally 'blown away' to use modern parlance, when I finally got around to mounting this new toy, and focussing on semi-distant objects in the neighbourhood.

I very quickly established that (subjectively) the x20 eye-pieces are optically superior by a significant margin.  So much so, in fact, I have resolved never to use the higher power.

Interpupillary adjustment enabled me to achieve a perfect single image.  Although I am officially 'an old man', recent cataract surgery has restored my long sight, so fortunately I have no need to wear specs with binoculars.  The rubber surrounds on these eye pieces are soft and flexible which made for comfortable viewing.

Focusing (with individual eye pieces) is a dream. 

Depth of field is, of course, very shallow indeed.  It was great fun to meander (optically) through leafless trees a few hundred yards away, as branches popped in an out of focus as I moved through them.

Using both eyes to view, as I have heard others remark on this Forum, is  close to a three dimensional experience.

As daylight faded, I did notice mild purple fringing on the edges of buildings and trees, but I guess this is something I'm going to have to get used to.

My only grumble, or disappointment with the Helios 20/40x100 'Quantum 5' concerns the close focussing range.  Advertised somewhere or other I saw as being 20 metres.  That is nonsense, more like 50, which will prevent me using them for some daylight activities I had in mind.

Finally (and I apologise for wittering on for so many paragraphs) here are a few photographs available via this link. 

I know these bins have been reviewed elsewhere, but I have tried to cover features which have not, to my knowledge, been discussed elsewhere.

Here's the link:   http://imageevent.com/donnington/heliosquantum5   

Password to access the album is 'bins' (without the inverted commas)

Do ask any questions you may have.  Cheers.....

Archived