New Scope

Hello everybody. I had a Jessops TA1100-102 reflector for a Christmas gift. Unfortunately the skies haven`t been too kind to me lately. Has anyone else on here got the same model or indeed any images taken through this model.I would be grateful to see anything I can look forward to when I eventually get some clear skies.

Thank you all. 

Hi Vulcan and welcome to SGL :)

It's unlikely you'll find many folks here with your particular scope - and because it's not an imaging scope - less likely you'll find any pics taken using it. However if you have any specific questions regarding that particular model then feel free to ask and someone will be along soon with helpful suggestions.

When the skies do clear I would suggest you start on the moon - you'll see craters and mares (seas) with much more detail than by eye, you should also see Jupiter which is high and very bright in the southern sky mid evening currently. If you familiarise yourself with the Orion constellation (eg google online) then you should be able to get a view of the Orion Nebula in the "sword" region. Also have a go at the "pan handle" of the Plough constellation - you should see the third star from the end is a double star quite easily.

Hope that helps :)

Hi Vulcan, another welcome to SGL from myself.

Good advice in post #3.

Has your telescope got a 'finder' ? That will be some sort of aiming device attached to the main tube. Could be a tiny telescope with lenses or a 'red dot finder '. You need to align that with the main scope, or pointing it at an object to view will be very hit & miss, mostly miss actually.....

Best done in daylight. Fit the lowest power eyepiece, that's the one with the highest number on it, like 25mm or whatever. Point the telescope at something easily recognisable by looking into the eyepiece, as far away as poss, could be a chimney, tv aerial, etc. Focus by adjusting the focuser to get a clear image. Without moving the scope, look through the finder and adjust it, so it's pointing at exactly the same thing as what you see in the eyepiece.

If you have a higher power eyepiece like 10mm, fit that, and repeat as above to fine tune things. This takes much longer to describe than actually do.

Having done that, whenever you point the telescope at the moon or Jupiter or whatever, use the lowest power eyepiece in the focuser, and using the finder, hopefully your intended object with be seen in the eyepiece. You can practice during the day on any distant object.

Always focus carefully for the best view. If what you see is upside down, that's normal, nothings broken....

Hope that helps, Ed.

Hi Vulcan and welcome,

Did a quick search on that scope and turned up this post from 2011 (here). Im sorry to say it does not have the best reputation. However....that may have been an older version of the scope, and perhaps they have improved upon it.

I wish you luck and clear skies.

Regards

Hi Vulcan, another welcome to SGL from myself.

Good advice in post #3.

Has your telescope got a 'finder' ? That will be some sort of aiming device attached to the main tube. Could be a tiny telescope with lenses or a 'red dot finder '. You need to align that with the main scope, or pointing it at an object to view will be very hit & miss, mostly miss actually.....

Best done in daylight. Fit the lowest power eyepiece, that's the one with the highest number on it, like 25mm or whatever. Point the telescope at something easily recognisable by looking into the eyepiece, as far away as poss, could be a chimney, tv aerial, etc. Focus by adjusting the focuser to get a clear image. Without moving the scope, look through the finder and adjust it, so it's pointing at exactly the same thing as what you see in the eyepiece.

If you have a higher power eyepiece like 10mm, fit that, and repeat as above to fine tune things. This takes much longer to describe than actually do.

Having done that, whenever you point the telescope at the moon or Jupiter or whatever, use the lowest power eyepiece in the focuser, and using the finder, hopefully your intended object with be seen in the eyepiece. You can practice during the day on any distant object.

Always focus carefully for the best view. If what you see is upside down, that's normal, nothings broken....

Hope that helps, Ed.

Thank you for the reply.The eyepieces I have are 6mm,12.5mm and 20mm and a 3x barlow lens.

Archived