Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Digital SLR Tips and Tricks

Nokia Hands-free Remote Control as a Remote Shutter Release

Spend $1 at a Dollar Store and get a functional shutter release cord for your Canon Digital Rebel! Apparently someone has found that a cheap Nokia hands free cord kit works as a shutter release cord for the Digital Rebel. The Mute button on the cord works as the shutter release. This particular unit was discovered at a local dollar store.

From DP Review's forums:"Today I went to the dollar store and saw that they had a 31" retractable cell phone hands free kit for motorola models, I bought it, it cost me ..yep.. 1$. Went home and tried it like it was suggested some time ago in this forum and IT WORKS !! gosh I am happy ! its very handy, small and retractable, so it will come in very handy."

Also, says Antonion Cotto:" Any cell phone hands free with a button on it will work as a remote trigger. I had one already for my cell phone (so it did not cost me anything). All you have to do is cut the wire that goes to the ear piece.

When you press the button, it focuses, gets a lock, and fires the shutter. Once the camera has a focus lock, you can keep hitting the shutter for quick shots.

For bulb, switch camera to manual, set shutter to bulb, and press button. This will again get focus lock first, open the shutter, and remain open open until you let the button go."

Savings: $25 for RS-60 remote

http://photos.bahneman.com/tricks/article.php?story=2005032423135236

Top tip there, but does do you have to hold the button down to keep the shutter open. If so that could be a bit of a chore on a long exposure shot of say 5 mins.

With the RC-5 remote shutter release the shutter stays open until you press the button again. In the UK it is £14.99 from Argos and about £3.00 on ebay.

Archived