Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 with 70-200mm f4L (need help)

So I've taken some lights tonight and I'm having trouble processing the file, it's getting out all rough. 

It's my first time trying to process an image with this lens and it's quite a pain :( 

Could anyone rush me through on how to do this?

it's 50 minutes data @ 120 sec per exposures (f4.0) ISO 200

Here's the raw data files in dropbox (100mb)

Thanks for looking!

So I've taken some lights tonight and I'm having trouble processing the file, it's getting out all rough. 

It's my first time trying to process an image with this lens and it's quite a pain :(

Could anyone rush me through on how to do this?

it's 50 minutes data @ 120 sec per exposures (f4.0) ISO 200

Here's the raw data files in dropbox (100mb)

Thanks for looking!

Hi Axel,

I have done a quick process in StarTools and a bit on PS. You really need flats as the lens wide open is not illuminating the sensor either evenly nor uniformly. This is surprising the L lens is really designed for full format cameras so I did not expect such problems with an L lens and a crop format camera. The sensor has done well with regards to noise but you really need to do all the calibration frames, particularly Bias frames and Flats. I also attach a jpeg from Pixinsight ( ignor the red colour as this is typical of DSLR capture ) to show you the extent of  problem and there seems to be some canon banding artefacts too. I think that you need longer exposures and some about 45s for the core, you can combine them in PS .

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-41570900-1389746649_thumb.j

post-28808-0-60601400-1389746705_thumb.j

Archived