Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

January 12, 2014: Some great proms visible right now

Just had a look at the sun in H-alpha with my LS35, and was treated to some great proms and filaments. The big AR has moved to the western limb and is still showing some beautiful whorls around it. Right on the edge, close to it, a complicated if fairly low surface brightness prom can be seen. To its north a series of low arcs of very good surface brighntess show up. Further north still, a very large, bright, and nearly linear prom stands out clearly (at 10-11o'clock in my LS35) To the north-east, a similar, but slightly smaller and much fainter prom can be seen. Several smaller AR and attendant filaments can be seen across the disk. Very lively at the moment and well worth a look

Thanks for the heads up, Michael. I was going to skip solar yesterday as the sky was a bit white, but actually, the view was not too bad despite that, I had to try after seeing your post :laugh:

I think Sarah will not thank you though as I was supposed to be fixing a broken fence :grin: The fence did get fixed by the end of the day, so all's well that ends well. :laugh:

Thanks for the heads up, Michael. I was going to skip solar yesterday as the sky was a bit white, but actually, the view was not too bad despite that, I had to try after seeing your post :laugh:

I think Sarah will not thank you though as I was supposed to be fixing a broken fence :grin: The fence did get fixed by the end of the day, so all's well that ends well. :laugh:

Fences can wait. Proms cannot :D

Archived