Looking to upgrade- suggestions?

Just over a year ago, I acquired a Meade DS-2090 Scope from a friend of my dad's. Great starter scope, but I recently admitted that the computerised goto mount was beyond repair, and that knowledge just makes the awkward focusing and tendency to slip all the more infuriating. I also think I can do a bit better than barely making out the shape of saturn, and getting an orange blob with a moon-dot or two when I try jupiter. After countless hours of internet research, I'm none the wiser as to what I should be looking for.

TL:DR; I want to buy a scope better than this one and I'm looking for suggestions of what to buy and where to get it. Doesn't need to be new, and something this side of 400 quid would be nice- I AM a student, and I don't want to spend my life savings on a telescope just yet ;P

You should be able to pick up one of these second hand, 1-2yrs old, in prime condition for about £350 'ish:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

Or as suggested by James a 200P dob used, same age and condition, for around £180 'ish.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

Take a look through the adverts on Astro Buy Sell UK website where most of the sellers are genuine with accurate item descriptions. Bank on about 65% of new price for used items as a general rule - plus whatever you can negotiate.

Either of these will be a jaw dropping upgrade to your current scope. Hth :)

IMHO, GoTo scopes are more beneficial to Imagers. It speeds up target location, resulting in more data capture availability due to  time saved.

If you are an Observation only person, then the money you save by not going GoTo, can be ploughed into a larger objective telescope, be it Reflector, or Refractor.

The GoTo  instruments are very popular, and I  am certainly not putting them down.

Looking back to my early years in Astronomy, I would without doubt have chose a 12" Dob Newt. over a  6"    GoTo  one. Had they been available then of course :grin:  :grin:.

Ron.

Archived