Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

No star alignment tracking

hobsey

Now the council have changed the lights around my area, its a lot darker outside my flat compared to what it used to be.

With tonight supposed to be quite clear I was thinking about having a mess around with some astrophotography and my mount as I have yet to use it properly. Handset is still in factory settings.

My problem is the my view is restricted from west to north, so a 1,2 or 3 star alignment is not really possible.

What I would like to know is, if I polar align my CG5-GT mount is there a feature on it that will allow me to find something in the scope and ask the mount to track it?

Many thanks.

In simplistic terms you are taking about guiding but that requires a separate camera and software to pick a guide star to monitor and track.

I'm sure you could, at least, locate one star from the list given your view.

That can be a right pain believe me, but worth it when it's done.

It's probably worth noting that, IIRC star alignment only really benefits GOTO operation. Once your mount is polar aligned you could just set it tracking and manually find your target....

Sometimes i just sit playing about outside with the old eq5 goto i sometimes use my phone white Android skeye app looking at stars and comparing them in the star alignment list on the goto handset,try making a note at what you can spot,i managed a 30second shot of orion nebula by typing in location then skipping the alignment slew to what you want to view select rate 2 see how you go i find it quite rewarding after a days work,have fun try.

Jeff

Archived