NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Startravel 80 First Light

Hi,

I thought I'd share my first light experience. I wanted something very portable and that didn't mind travelling around in the boot of my car, for my trip to friends blessed with dark skies. I also wanted something for wide field views. I bought myself the ST80 as a Christmas present, and despite the lurgy I've had since Christmas, finally managed to get some clear skies to try it out. Eyepieces used were BST Explorer/Starguiders.

Started with the moon, nicely framed in the view piece at x16. The view was bright, crisp and details really quite sharp at low magnifications. Some colour fringing was evident, but not enough to spoil the view. Switching to my highest magnification x80, the view remained enjoyable. Switched to Jupiter which is by far my favourite. At x80 I could see two of the cloud bands quite clearly, hints of other bands and four of the moons. Jupiter is bright and colour fringing was quite evident; green when out of focus, purple when in. Not the best of view, but observing bright planets wasn't really what I bought this for. I moved on to M42 Orion Nebula. I actually said wow! and suspect most of my neighbours heard ;) It was framed beautifully at x80. The trapezium stars were easily visible as well as the dark wedge into the nebulosity nearby. With averted vision the nebula looked divine with broad back sweeping wings. Finally M45 Pleiades at x16 was very well framed in the FOV. I felt I could see faint nebulosity around the eight main stars, but this may have been an atmospheric artefact. Faint colour was visible in the chain of stars which lie below the main group.

Overall I'm really happy with this little scope and I think I'm beginning to understand why people are quite so keen of their refractors :)

Nice little scopes arent they?. ...

I use it as my dump it down, which can mean anywhere from the back of the car when coming back at night working late.

I have a fringe killer on mine, for planetary uses (moon etc) i find it helps sharpen the views nicely.

I love my little ST-80. I took it to Spain and got some snaps of Sagittarius etc I'm really proud of. Scope small enough to fit in hand luggage, cheap enough to take travelling. Tripod, EQ1 mount + counterweight went in big suitcase in the hold.

Enjoy!

Archived