Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSS Output format

Well I'm taking my first small steps towards DSO imaging and there's a lot to learn! Thinkig I'd start slowly and not waste effort I captured only

30 Lights and darks ( No bias or flats yet...I just want to try the process) and stacked them in Deep Sky Stacker. The result was saved as a file called Autosave.tif (name created by DSS). It looks about what I'd expect...Not too different from the individual lights.

Now the problem...If I try to load this into PS7 I get the error message.." Can't read because the TIFF file uses an unsupported bit depth".

So I tried to load it into Registax 6 just to try and change the file type and and was infiormed it was an unsupported TIFF format.

As a long shot I tried PIPP but again the format was unsupported.

I checked the file properties...It's about 97 MB suggesting there is a lot of data there and in the details tab it says it has a bit depth of 96.

I did some looking but started getting (more) confused with mention of integer or floating point so thought it's time to seek help here.

Is there a setting in DSS to change the output to a more "friendly" format or do I have to convert this file (and if so how?)?

Thanks folks

Steve

The DSS autosave file is a 32bit tiff and is not widely supported in basic image editing software.

I always save as a 16bit tiff and chose to 'embed settings in the saved image but do not apply them'. If you save with the settings applied, you save the autostretched imaged preview rather than the base image.

If you save with settings embedded but not applied, when you open the image in PS it will look different to how it looks in DSS. It will look like a black square with just a couple of bright stars showing. This is a GOOD thing because it means you have saved all the data in linear format and can process it to look how you want rather than how DSS thinks it should look. You can get better noise control in the dark areas and better star colour because you can target your stretches better. DSS tends to blow out the star colour.

O that's brilliant, Rik...Just the response I was hoping for.

Great, I'll try what you describe. Will I be able to reload the autosave into DSS and follow your instructions or do I have to start again? The former I would have thoght?

Many thanks...I should have paid more attention to an AP imaging presentation you gave but I was just starting out then!! Information overload!

Steve

Archived