NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AstroPhotography upgrade browsing/shopping list

astrodam

Hi,

I have been dabbling in AP with my current setup for a little while but I am now craving longer exposure times to get even more out of DSO imaging.  Currently I can get between 30sec and one minute depending on how well I've polar aligned. 

I'm about 6 to 9 months away from pulling the trigger but I'm currently browsing the sort of gear that will give me longer exposures.

To begin I'm looking at:

SW HEQ5 Pro Synscan

SW Star travel 80 for guidescope

SW  Synguider autoguider

and a 17Ah power tank

I am planning to use my current Newtonian and DSLR until I can upgrade again as I'm not going to have a massive budget. Currently this is at about £1200.  I want a setup that will keep me going and happy for a good few years.

I'm sure I will need other accessories and was wondering if anyone has a similar setup or can advise what else/alternatives I'd need.

Many thanks

A good package - Here's a couple of my thoughts.

You may want to factor a reducer / flattener into that, as it will speed up the scope and improve your corners (I assume that you use the DSLR in your sig?). Buy second hand, will save you a pretty penny. Also, do you have a laptop you could use instead of the synguider? These get mixed reviews.  A simple guide camera, such as the QHY5 and a laptop will do very well for getting decent long subs.

The SW 150P will certainly get you into DSO imaging with the rest of the equipment that you have put on your list. However, Newtonians suffer from coma so a coma corrector will be required to improve star shapes at the periphery of the field of view.

I agree with Sara about the SynGuider, I have reviewed one and they do work but a standard guide camera would be a better less fraught choice.

Hi,

I agree with all the previous comments . I myself am considering a 150 PDS to give me a little more reach for galaxy imaging @ F5. The only comment I would add about the SynGuider is that it has a place if one needs to travel to a dark site and the laptop is not a viable option. It is self contained so it won't drain resources, otherwise a guide camera with 50mm guide scope makes better sense.

A.G

Thank for the comments :-)

Would I be correct in saying that I would need to modify the focuser to accept a coma corrector and still achieve focus due to how close the sensor has to be to the secondary mirror?

I will research the guide camera some more. I do have a laptop but thought the synguider would be better as it is all in one and I would not have a laptop to die on me just when I get going. Would the power tank also run a laptop as well as the mount?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Archived