NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion Nebula

Well, that was the best night watching the sky. A really great view of Jupiter. Finding it every time is good, actually finding my way round the sky is getting easier. Even found the Orion Nebula. Beautiful. Watched it for a good hour using all my eyepieces. 10mm, 25mm and both through the Barlow. 10mm with the barlow was a bit hard to focus but was well worth a look.

Then spent a good while looking at different constellations.  All will help me getting about the sky.

A wonderful evening

Gary

Sounds very similar to mine, simply a great evening and very unexpected with all the clouds around!

Got about 10mins on orion before it ducked behind a fir tree however spent the last 3 hours just seeing new things. Try the double cluster in Perseus.... Just wow.

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

You can just make it out with the mk1 eyeball (I think!!!) about halfway between the head of Perseus and "delta" star in Cassiopeia... Nice low power, wide field... Again WOW...

Happy hunting and clear sky's to you!

• 2 weeks later...

Gary - The below link is very good in helping you find your way around the sky each month and its free. Just click on the current month for the "northern hemisphere" and once loaded, you can print out a 2 page copy to take outside. Its a valuable tool I have been using for many years!

http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

Good hunting and you will enjoy the double cluster for sure!

Archived