NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Great Night Last Night

TomasFitz

Had a bunch of friends over and we made a good hash at it for a few hours last night. Managed to see M42 very well and spent ages on Jupiter. Good views, saw the bands and 3 moons (Europa, Io and Ganymede if I'm correct), only problem was how fast it raced out of FOV. After that we were at a loss as we hadn't really prepared what to look for beforehand. So we took a tour of the constellations and zoomed in on some favourite stars and a quick look at the Pleiades before it started to rain. Have made a bit of a plan of what to look for tonight if all goes well. Sticking to the brighter Messiers while I learn what to expect when I look for something. In terms of deciding what to look for, do most choose things at random to look at or have an order to their targets (be it based on time or location etc.)?

As I have a restricted view, roughly west of north round through east to southish I try to plan to see objects before they disappear over my roof tops.

I have a quick look at Stellarium and look at my Pocket Sky Atlas for an idea where to start and try to work constellation by constellation. Having said all that I must admit to being a bit haphazard.

If I have a few hours under the sky and get a few good views I'm happy.

Archived