Newbie Book recommendation

Hi Guys,

New to stargazing & using bins at present and soon to be going to local club.

Was looking at Orion & then Pleiades yesterday. Have a few books like TLAO & using app skysafari + (fantastic!)

Was wondering if a 'reference' type book that is based on constellations or clusters so can get more info on that - tried to find info on Pleiades yesterday but struggled. Any advice?

Thanks

Hi drnat.

Welcome to the fourm. Hope you get plenty of info from it.

I've got the much like TLAO like yourself. Also a Sky Pocket Atlas, but sometimes imdo feel that magazines get forgotten about regarding the month by month info they contain.

For example, Sky at Night magazine has a monthly binocular tour and information on how to get to the targets. Astronomy now also has similar information. Might be worth just popping into a newsagent and have a flick through, but worth a few quid IMHO.

Cheers

Tony

Welcome to SGL.

If you are using bins then look at Binocular Sky they have a monthly newsletter.http://binocularsky.com/

I have Steve Tonkins book on binoculars and it is very good, has star charts of relevant objects too.

Also look at the Phillips series of books . They have some good publications.

I have heard the public library system in the UK is a bit dire in places but have a look in a local library at their range of books on astronomy.

When I lived in Perth, WA we had an excellent local library and I would often borrow a book and if it was good I would then order my own copy.

For a sort constellation information I use The Monthly Sky Guide by Ridpath and Tirion. It highlights a main constellation for each month and covers it specifically.

For information on clusters I cannot point you t anything specific. Since many clusters are part of The MEssier Catalogue you could search for a book that is specifically on Messier Objects. Another similar catalogue is The Caldwell Catalogue, I think this includes a good number of clusters and again a book relevant to The Caldwell Catalogue would/should include information on them.

Part of the problem of getting any book is getting one that suits you.

As a first shot try the internet, "list of messier objects" will get a fair table of the lot out of wikipedia, with links to more detailed information on each. I guess the same for Caldwell objects. You could search round for free books on the net for Messier Objects, I think there will be a few and maybe one will suit you.

If you are looking for something that guides you round the sky, like the pointer to Polaris, Orions Belt to Hyades and Pleiades then more at a loss. I made my own.

one book I often recommend is " illustrated guide to astronomical wonders" 

if you want a book that covers objects by constellation along with some information on that object , as well as the constellation itself ,its ideal.

also the first section of 50 odd pages covers things like equipment , how to work out telescope equations like eye relief, filed of view and so on.

my only criticism is its only available as a paperback.

my most used reference along with  the pocket atlas.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-Guide-Astronomical-Wonders-Observer/dp/0596526857

"Was wondering if a 'reference' type book that is based on constellations or clusters so can get more info"

+1 for the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders. It's similar to TLAO but with loads more objects and ordered by constellation and season. Plenty of extra info too. Get the spiral bound copy so it opens easy on a table outside next to you.

:)

"Was wondering if a 'reference' type book that is based on constellations or clusters so can get more info"

+1 for the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders. It's similar to TLAO but with loads more objects and ordered by constellation and season. Plenty of extra info too. Get the spiral bound copy so it opens easy on a table outside next to you.

:)

if they do a spiral bound copy now then that's the icing on the cake.  ive not seen them though .

Thanks for the info guys, shall check out the illustrated guide book. The others are problematic if want to search under a specific thing you have seen. Just downloading pocket access :-)

Great site her & been really helpful & fascinating to read - thanks to all the contributors!!

Hi,

My first ever astronomy book was:

Teach Yourself Books: Astronomy an Introductory Guide by David S Evans

Printed in 1950. Given as a gift a few years after this year I might add. Still relevant today; well some bits are as things have moved on in terms of science.

Amazon act as portal to many good secondhand book retailers.

Chris

Archived