A Skymax-127 question

Hi all, I've been a member for a while, but not posted.

I'm looking at getting a Skymax-127 to go with my Explorer 150P on a EQ3-2 mount. Is the SynScan AZ GOTO mount any good? Or would I be better off spending my hard earned cash on upgrading my current mount?

The main reason for looking is a quicker, lighter setup for dodging clouds (& storms at the moment).

Cheers

The 127MAK is a great grab and go scope to have, there is a lot of fans of it on here.

As for the mount, they tend to be a bit wobbly but ok just for visual use but there is things you can do to help reduce that.

I would be inclined to go for the Celestron version of this package, the Nexstar. Not just saying that because I have it but because apparently the alignment procedure is alot easier.

I wouldn't want to put the 127 Mak on anything lighter than the EQ3-2 I think (or the Synscan AZ).  Upgrading the mount seems unlikely to make it quicker and lighter to set up though.

James

Thanks for the replies, sorry I have a few more questions.

Does the nexstar 127 use a dovetail, so I could use it on my EQ mount?

Or should I buy the Skymax 127 OTA & buy a motor drive for my EQ mount for imaging? I have a polar scope.

I believe the Nexstar 127 OTA has a short dovetail, but it's on the side rather than at the bottom, so whilst you could fit it on your EQ3-2 the focuser would be at the bottom rather than the side and the finder mount would be on the top right rather than top left.

What were you thinking of imaging?

James

Cheers, does the Synscan skymax 127 OTA have a longer dovetail?

I've been imaging the moon & blurry short exposures of DSOs using a DSLR on my 150p. I've also got a toucam & had a go at Jupiter & Saturn, with not much luck.

Archived