NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What mount?

Hi I'm wondering what mount would work well with this scope http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-250p-ds-ota.html

I've been looking at either the heq5 pro mount or the neq6 pro mount I'm going to try my hand at ap and also use it for visual I've just ordered a canon 600d camera and have decided on this scope. I live in Wales in the valleys and where I am I'm quite fortunate my garden is sheltered from the wind and has great views of the sky and also it's very dark in my area also a short walk out my garden gate and I'm on the mountain which Is pitch black. Help on this mount would be great thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I looked up the weight of the OTA alone, it's close to 15 Kg, think you pretty much Need a NEQ6. Max load of the HEQ5 is around 15 Kg, for visual. Some other here might have tried with a HEQ5 but I would never mount that beast on that mount ;)

Thanks guys and baffa the heq5 was originally my first choice until I read about the weight and I also think the neq6 is a good choice I know it's a bit heavier than the heq5 but it will be going out in my garden and I'm fit enough lol and I don't have to worry about the 250pds being a big wind sail as it's very sheltered in my garden thanks

the eq6 will do you fine, I have a 10" on an eq6 and its spot on. The skywatcher tube is heavier than mine but wont be an issue as I have used the skywatcher ota on my mount as well. With such a large tube wind can be a factor if really gusty, but I see you are well sheltered.

That's really good to hear then. And as with wind it isn't a concern I'm quite sheltered with a good view of the sky so quite fortunate. So I'll probably go with this setup all I need is the weather now :/ which I don't think is gonna be anytime soon sadly but thanks for your info much appreciated :)

The NEQ6 worked ok with my 250PDS, with a guide scope ect i did some 10 minute imagines, it won't like any sort of breeze....you may need a extra weight..:))

Posted Image

Thanks for the image now I can see them both together that it does work together I'm happy. Wind is not a factor but I will get the extra weight incase. Very nice setup though thanks for sharing. What kind of images have you had with it?

I only took short brief imagines of messier's as i found them, i prefer to view than image and the time taken to change from viewing to imagine meant lost viewing time, i have a C11 now so thinking get a 2nd mount (AZ- EQ6-GT) then maybe the C11 will image and view with the 250PDS.....

Archived