Getting the best out of my scope

Darren Cheverton..........Hi, I messed about with Stellarium to see what the different AFOV and focal lengths would look like through a telescope. To get the best, you need to be perfectly collimated, good seeing conditions, and plenty of cash to buy the TeleVues that are available. Your Sirius Plossl 25.0mm, 10.0mm thats supplied will have about 50° AFOV, so if you want wider fields, play with Stellarium and see the difference. Myself, I chose the BST Starguiders and have no problems with them whatsoever at the moment, and just awaiting delivery of my 32mm Panaview. Im sure TeleVues would be a better lense for my 8" but at what cost? I`m certain the only difference would be that the TV's are supposed to be completely sharp from edge to edge in the view. I've not really looked for that in my lenses (I keep meaning too) but I look at stuff on-axis, and as everything is moving anyway, there's not much time to sit and enjoy the extreme edge of view, why would you?

yes. learn to collimate first, then get used to handling the telescope , get stellarium. After you are familiar with your scope and if you have the money, then buy a set of maybe 3 premium eyepieces. I would suggest going with televues if you have the cash or like me, going with the medium price maxivisions. Or maybe Explore Scientifics. If you buy the wider AFOV pieces and a good barlow you can make do with maybe 3 eyepieces in total. What you need is one which will give you maximum exit pupil which would be around 32mm , one which give you maximum manification  which would be either 4.7 or 9 depending on if you want to barlow or not. And then one in between which would be like 16-24mm range. 32 barlowed is 16 so you might want to get a 24 which is 12 barlowed. then would would have 32,24,9 without barlowing and 16,12,4.5 barlowed. And buy a proper barlow. I find the televue barlows worth their price. 

and one thing to note is that you should be careful when buying eyepieces since you scope is quite fast, make sure the eyepieces you buy are capable of doing a good job on an f4.7 scope. I know maxvisions are , explore scientifics probably are  and televues surely are. for cheaper options BST starguiders seem to draw ok and they are  a bit cheaper. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived