Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 30.12.2013

catman161

Stuck my head out the window this evening at around 9pm and saw it was clear so set up to try and catch a final Jupiter of 2013. Seeing was not good at all, transient high cloud also which stopped play after just 90 minutes of actual useable time once scope had cooled.

Scope: 200P Mount:NEQ6 Pro Camera: ZWO ASI120MC

2047 of 2500 frames stacked/wavelets in Registax 5.1, unsharp mask in PS CS2.

11657395823_d5edbd3beb_o.png
Capture 30_12_2013 22_35_26_pippUS by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Thanks guys. I would like to get more detail with my Jupiter images. Conditions were not good last night but I think I need to invest in a x4 powermate-any thoughts on that from more experienced planetary imagers would be gratefully received. I currently use a 200P (not the PDS) mounted on an NEQ 6 with a moonlite crayford focuser and the moonlite DC motor focuser.

Hi Catman. Nice image.

I don't think simply adding more magnification will get you more detail. I was trying last night and got comparable results to yours and that was at f20 with an 8 inch SCT. I'm no expert but I think to get more detail you need a combination of aperture and seeing conditions.

I managed to get more detail in December last year with the same scope as you (image in the Flickr page in my sig) at f15 using a 3x Tal Barlow. The conditions were great that night and the avi's captured looked great.

Wow that is a fantastic image Sam, I noticed you used a 3x barlow also whereas I only have a 2x powermate so you have a little more magnification than I use. Also You have a very nice camera. I totally agree with your thoughts on the conditions having to be great. I have seen nights over th past couple of years (before I started planetary imaging) where the seeing has been so stable that at over 200x mag I could discern detail on jupiter that I have not seen since.

Yes. It's no great technique, just great conditions and a nicely collimated scope and lots of frames. I think the cameras are similar. I've seen some nice results with that camera. I think with planetary imaging I just try to get out every opportunity in the hope that I catch the night when the conditions are great.

Archived