Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power out in the garden and beyond.

As I have fallen further and further down the slippery slope that is astrophotography my requirements for power have increased. Currently I have

• DSLR - powered by it's own batteries
  • Astrotrac - Currently running off of 8 AA batteries but that only gets me about 4 hours.
  • Laptop - I never trust the thing not to turn off when running on batteries so I run it off of the mains.

Going forward I will need to change to:

• DSLR - powered by it's own batteries
  • Astrotrac - running off of 12V cigarette light plug.
  • Laptop - running off of 12V or mains.
  • Dew tapes for the camera lenses running off of 12v

At the moment I have access to a weatherproof external mains plug that I run a 10m exterior extension cable from to the area I am set up in. I typically have a garden chair with the laptop on it to keep it out of most of the damp. I am also now balancing the laptop PSU and the battery pack for the AstroTrac on the chair as well.

I have been having a look at the various power solutions for use in the garden and I have to say that none of them look particularly safe to be having out in damp conditions all night. For instance the Maplin transformer that I have seen a number of people refer to is only suitable for indoor use, and I can not find any 12V connectors that look damp proof. Even things like the Tracer Astronomy power packs and dew controlers do not look particularly damp proof.

Can anyone recommend a 12V system that I can run off of the mains and plug in things like the AstroTrac, Dew Heaters and a laptop? In addition I am going to want to take this out to a field eventually and I would like to get a battery pack of some description that can cope with damp conditions, does anyone have any suggestions for a field pack that can cope with being stood in damp ground and having dew form on it?

I suspect you are looking at a 12V leisure battery wired to suitable connectors inside a transport box. In effect you build it.

Have seen a couple that people have spent the time on and very good but it needs the construction ability and the electrical knowledge.

You would have to add up the current drawn and estimate the max time, then I guess double the figure, as a margin.

I use the Maplin XM21 12v transformer connected to my outside plug socket. I only set up about 20 feet from the socket, so all I do is run an extension cable to my scope. I then place the power transformer and the socket end of the extension in a plastic box and just lay the lid on top. That sorts out any problems with dew/moisture. Do not actually close the lid as the transformer does still generate heat.  

Want you don't want is mains (240v) cables running about outside in the damp, if you can plug in a transformer to the mains socket then run 10-20m 12volt cables to the mount or a single cable then run it through a splitter to take of the power you need will be much safer, the transformer could be placed in a plastic storage box either with the lid on or the box turned over to cover it, just get it all plugged in then turn the mains on and off  from in your  house consumer unit...

Archived