Celestron eyepiece and filter set

Skooby

Hi fellow star gazers I've been looking for a new set of eyepieces and I can across this celestron eyepiece and filter set on amazon they have very good reviews and is on offer at the moment. They will be used on a skywatcher skyliner 250px solid tube. I'd just like some of your time on if anybody has used them or if they are worth the money or if they are any good thanks for your time it will be much appreciated. Kevin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the celestron Plossl eyepiece kit with my scope, to be honest they are not bad at all for a cheap set.

They look and feel reasonable quality and the barlow does what it should. I only used the moon filter which does the job as advertised, so far i haven't used any of the other filters.

I found after a while that I just used the 32mm and the 17mm, I'm quite happy with them but sometimes I half think that i should have not bothered and spent the money on two better quality eyepieces. 

I recently borrowed the revelation eyepiece kit which is similar to the celestron kit but I wasn't able to notice any real difference on my scope.

The TS kit looks like a variation on a theme and without actually trying it, I suspect would perform just the same.

I would go for the celestron and then upgrade to 2 inch wallet killers  :grin:

I'd not generally recommend an eyepiece set unless there's a good reason for wanting a wide range of focal lengths.  You may well find that some of them never get used.  Same with the filters probably.  I'd not be surprised if many people never even take them out of their cases.

In your particular case I don't think I'd expect them to perform very well in the 250P because of its fast focal ratio.  It is quite demanding of eyepieces and my Revelation 32mm Plossl which is probably quite similar to the one in this kit performs horribly in mine.  I doubt the shorter focal lengths will be better.

I'd suggest sorting out a list of focal lengths you'd like and buying them individually.  Tele Vue eyepieces will work well, but are generally quite expensive compared with just about anyone else.  They're quite possibly eyepieces you keep for life though, so that does balance things out a bit.  The Tele Vue Plossls should be fine in your scope and are more bearably priced when bought second hand.  The Meade 5000 series and Explore Scientific ranges should work well, though I don't have any and I can't recall reading a review of them used in the 250P.

A cheaper alternative might be  the Baader Classic Orthos (or their Genuine Orthos if you find them second hand).  I have the BGOs and they're fine at f/4.7, but the field of view is quite small.  The BCOs have a slightly larger field of view, but it's still not huge.  There are some other brands of ortho that may work well.  I think the Hutech ones are supposed to be pretty good, but I've not tried them.  The eye-relief is quite tight on the BGOs and many other orthos, so they're not ideal if you wear glasses to observe.

James

Archived