Newbie with Passion

Hello everyone,

my name is Tim and I live in South West France right in the middle of the countryside where light pollution is smmmmmmmmmmall

have been reading the forum for a week after getting a Reflector for Christmas.  As I enjoy enjoy amazing evening star shows I am over the moon at my prezzie.  My Wife (bless her got me a starter telescope for Chrimbo and I am hooked) However that said I find that it is not a good telescope.  But i have not let that get in my way.  I have read up on lens's, focal length and FOV plus magnification and all the info I can collect regarding my Telescope. I have studied Star Charts and downloaded the apps to my phone.  Got a blankie and laid it out in my garden and just looked, Ive borrowed a great pair of Bins and cross referenced what I see to what is charted.............soo how has it been for me?....................................................................................................................................................................most excellent to be truthful. okay dont get me wrong I know I have little knowledge but have knuckled down to try to grasp the enormity of this passion, so far I have spent many a happy hour just adjusting and setting my Telescope.  I also know that I will have many a frustrating night looking at dots that may or may not have meaning but that is not the point! when I do find something that I recognise.............wow,  So to all out there that read with some disapointment that the telescope they have is not very good. Spend some time learning the bits and pieces, take your time to adjust to this new hobby as there is sooooooooooooo much more to it than looking for the first time and you will definitely see more than you ever have before.

Telescope is in the garden to temperature adjust. 20mm lens and flask of soup being prepared..............coat, check, hat check. red lens torch, check. comfey chair and airbed, check. Rubbish telescope?..............who cares.  Dusk? ....................................damit got to wait another few hours

Tim

What scope is it exactly, helps to have an idea when people reply to questions.

Immaterial of how good/bad it will capture more then not having one and will show up a fair number of items.

One post I read had the signature: Someone somewhere has a better scope then yours, someone somewhere will have a worse scope then your. Just enjoy whatever you have.

Easy things at the start will be Pleiades, Hyades and Orion.

Few coloured double in Casseiopia and slpit Mizar/Alcor in the handle of the Plougn.

Give M31 a shot, you should get the core easily.

There will be lots of dots, and they will look like nothing you expect.

A single 20mm eyepiece makes me suspect it is an Orion scope, if so the eyepiece is likely a reasonable plossl, so the views could be good. All a guess however.

Hello White Dwarf and thank you for the info............nooooooooo its worse than you can imagine regarding the telescope but I refuse to let that stop me, I will be updating after reading all the techno info available here but that said we all have to start somewhere and I see more now than ever before even if it is through the bottom of a milk bottle.

Tim

Hi Ronin its hard to explain I feel all the world has bigger and better but I dont want to let it get in my way, this is new to me and over time I am sure my telescope will get better until then I will tune,adjust and alter what  have to work with and start to understand what the night sky has to offer.

Hi Tim and welcome to the forums don't feel like you have to get the most powerful telescope possible I have been doing astronomy for 5 years now and I still own a low power reflector. Just work with it and remember your observations aren't going to be good as Hubble space telescope. stick with what you have and in time it will become more rewarding.

Hope this helps 

Astroman

I found "stellarium" very useful. I'm new to astronomy and found this fantastic in many ways. I downloaded it this morning, it allows you to try out different eyepieces with different telescopes. I'm looking to buy some eyepieces, I have one 15mm. This has helped me in what to expect... Don't know if my post is accurate but if it is hope it helps

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

Archived