NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

to much christmas spirit ?

solarandi

Not for the first time, I have observed a static flashing light in the night sky.

The one last night happened at approximately 9.40pm in the constlation Cetus somewhere between Theta and Zeta. It flashed with a period of approx 9 seconds, with a brightness I would estimate similar to Beta (Diphda). The only thing I can think that would cause this is a geostationary satellite that was rotating and a part of it reflected the Sun. I do not know the hight of this proposed satellite and it's relationship regarding angles between itself, the Sun, and the Earth's shadow. The show ended at approx 9.50pm. Any (not to rude) thoughts welcomed.

Andi.

The oddest thing I've seen in the sky was something about the brightness of Jupiter, almost directly overhead. I didn't actually see it appear but it quickly faded over about 2 or 3 seconds. My best guess is a meteor coming vertically into the atmosphere. Does that sound likely???

Chinese lanterns have a habit of imitating Jupiter. I have been were they have been launched and it's remarkable when they reach enormous height how they do look just like a planet.

But this was at around 5am while I was trying to spot Ison? :unsure:

I'll tell you what I've seen quite often though. Orange glowing flying Vs. Or in the real world, Street light under-lit geese :lol:

Well as said I didn't see it appear I just noticed it and watch it fade quite steadily. As far as appearance is concerned, I genuinely thought for an instant "Ah Jupiter!" Before quickly realising it was in the wrong place. I'm certainly not thinking it was a UFO or anything and am sure there's a perfectly rational explanation for it. But I'm flummoxed. My best guess is still a vertical meteor entry but what distance would a "burn" be and how long would this be visible?

Archived