NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher skyliner 250px goto or other?

Hi All. I am need of some of your expert advice. I am looking at upgrading my scope, currently using a 4 1/2 inch refractor on a AZ3 mount. While it's been great at learning the sky and giving me some lovely views, I quickly became aware that I was a little bit of a lazy observer and decided a GOTO is a must for me going forward. I love to see the sights but do not relish the search so much anymore. I weighed up the AP route but feel that's a little way down the line for me, although I would like to get some nice lunar shots if poss.

So, with a £1000 budget, I am swayed towards the 250 Dob GOTO. I suppose I would like to know if this is a sensible choice that will give me better views than I can get now, or whether I am overlooking a better alternative.

As always, the knowledge you SGL folk have is invaluable. Thanks.

No expert advice from me, but I'll do my best.............

Dobs are the best value for visual observations, and as you are contemplating a go-to version, sounds like it would fit your needs.

If possible, I'd get to a dealer with a showroom to see one in the flesh, to judge size & weight are ok for you.  

The Flextube versions are more portable if you need to transport it, although a bit heavier than the solid tube.

All the best with your decisions, Ed.

Provided there is a light shroud fitted, there is no difference visually between the flex tube and solid tube 250PX's. They use the exact same optics. Without a light shroud you may get some stray light creeping in and spoiling the contrast in the flex tube model but it depends how dark your site is.

I use the manual solid tube version but have had a look through the flex tube model and seen the GoTo function in action on a couple of other models as well. They work very well and I would say that if you want minimum hassle, with GoTo function for visual observing, it doesn't get much better than the GoTo Skyliners. 

yes they are, but its very basic - wwe're talking 5-10 second exposures. and you cant do more than that, as the tracking although more than good enough for visual - is a bit jerky and nowhere near as smooth as a proper goto eq mount. or at least the tracking n my 300 flextube isnt.

plus you will get field rotation after a while.

Archived