Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What to get for my Heritage 76?

I've had the little Heritage 76 for a month or so now and had a few good session with it. It's done quite well, considering small aperture and city skies, on DSOs but not so great on the solar system. As well as the stock Skywatcher 25 and 10mm EPs I've got a couple of others, a 20mm Kellner (nice star images but a fair bit of light scatter) and 4mm SR (yuck).

Currently reckon I can spend about £20-40 on something for the little scope. I also wouldn't mind something that can also be useful for my 4 1/2 inch f/8 Newt, once I get that on the Dob mount I'm meaning to build.

My ideas:

Barlow? My thinking is that a good Barlow will let me more freely choose eyepieces in future, no need to worry about them performing at f/4. And when I get my 4 1/2 inch Newt in use again, its focal ratio matches that of the 2x Barlowed Heritage, so maybe that will let me share one eyepiece set for the pair of scopes. On the other hand, can I get a Barlow that will work well in the Heritage and doesn't have a TeleVue level price?

Eyepiece? I'm set for low power stuff, but the scope is I feel crying out for something that'll give decent higher power views. That f/4 focal ratio is a bit of a worry though; will I get something OK without paying the Earth?

Filter? With the skyglow round mind it seems like an idea. I've heard good things about the Baader Neodymium, but how does say the (much cheaper) Skywatcher Light Pollution filter compare? Would I be better off just going for a UHC despite the small aperture; I have heard of people getting results with UHCs on binoculars, so it might not be unreasonable. (Solar film, by the way, I already have.)

I'm new to this game so others will have better advice but I own the Heritage 130 and last week purchased a Celestron Omni 40mm EP which I am very impressed with. The view is much brighter and sharper than the standard issue Skywattcher 25mm. It is a very well made piece of kit and I am thinking of buying some of the higher powered EPs from the same range. These fall right in your price range so I think are worth considering. There is also a barlow in the range that looks nice but I have no idea how it performs.

Good luck :wink:

Bump.

Sounds like the Celestron Omnis might be good. I'm thinking a 6mm, giving 50x, would be the one to get: nice for the smaller DSOs and getting more lunar detail, and would Barlow to a hopefully-sensible 100x. Anyone know how the Skywatcher SP Plossls compare? They look of a very similar construction actually, but of course it's what's inside that counts. FLO do state for both "Best suited for telescopes with f-ratios f6 or slower", but then I suspect as mentioned that'll be the case with any cheap EP and I'll just have to put up with the edge-of-field flaws.

Archived