NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

trouble with my goto.

Can someone please help. ive just had a 2nd hand meade ds2090 at.

Trouble i got is when choosing either one or two star alignment the telescope slews to about 70 degrees high and keeps moving horizontally without stopping.

Can anyone help?.

Location, date and time are all correct.

Ive never had a goto before. im setting up without a compass inside my house, just to get used to it, roughly pointing north and level .

Please help

The month is in words so ive not made the american error.

Its doing my head in. is it worth resetting factory settings?

Searching on the net ive read that training the gears and or recalibrating might need doing. any suggestions?

Peter. i got brand new batteries in. ive also noticed when in manual mode and i switch from terrestrial viewing to astronomical to keep tracking an object , then it again keeps slewing around at its fastest speed.

Really my thought ws a stuck key as well, and if it is not sure what can be done, I wouldn't like to take a handset apart as I always get the idea bits will jump out.

I assume that the scope always rotates the same direction, it also means no end stops.

From a quick check it is not possible to plug the handset into the Aux port instead of the HBX port.

May sound a bit strange but switch the power on without the handset plugged in, wait 20-30 seconds then plug in the handset. Not had your problem but I find that the handset goes odd if the whole lot is powered up at once. No idea why as I use a DC mains supply so adaquate power.

Does one key feel different, as in no resistance when pressed.

You are not using rechargeable batteries by chance?

They are 1.2V not 1.5V so you will have just 7.4v and it could make it odd in operation.

Have you set your own location.

I assume that it otherwise has in the previous owners location - ignore that you hit reset.

What location have you entered then ?

Does it know it is a DS 2090 ?

You have to tell those handsets what they are connected to.

Passing thought is the previous person hit reset before you got it.

Equally it should have asked what scope ?

I have no idea what happens if no scope is defined.

Really my thought ws a stuck key as well, and if it is not sure what can be done, I wouldn't like to take a handset apart as I always get the idea bits will jump out.

NO ALL BUTTONS SEEM TO PRESS FINE

I assume that the scope always rotates the same direction, it also means no end stops.

CORRECT

From a quick check it is not possible to plug the handset into the Aux port instead of the HBX port.

NO, DIFFERENT SIZE SOCKETS

May sound a bit strange but switch the power on without the handset plugged in, wait 20-30 seconds then plug in the handset. Not had your problem but I find that the handset goes odd if the whole lot is powered up at once. No idea why as I use a DC mains supply so adaquate power.

I WILL TRY THAT CHEERS MATE

Does one key feel different, as in no resistance when pressed.

NO

You are not using rechargeable batteries by chance?

They are 1.2V not 1.5V so you will have just 7.4v and it could make it odd in operation.

NO. BRAND NEW BATTERIES

Have you set your own location.

I assume that it otherwise has in the previous owners location - ignore that you hit reset.

YES

What location have you entered then ? CARDIFF

Does it know it is a DS 2090 ? YES

You have to tell those handsets what they are connected to.

Passing thought is the previous person hit reset before you got it.

Equally it should have asked what scope ?

I have no idea what happens if no scope is defined.

Irrelevant, but is there a numerical pad on the handset or just basically UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT keys.

One description says 497 handset another (Meade manual) shows a 494 handset.

The always constant high speed makes me think it is slewing to some target, you cannot set the goto slew speed on some of the Meades, (494 handset). So when going to something it takes off like a bat out of hell.

Not sure I was right when I said power on scope then plug in handset, there was something on mine that was a problem if I went too fast. It may have been supply power to scope with handset plugged in but wait a short time to switch on the power at the scope. I know I had to wait for something, and it was odd as by rights waiting or not waiting should have made no difference. But without the wait handset did not operate, with a short wait it did.

Archived