NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon switches off when in video mode (DSO)

When I try and film DSO in video mode my camera will stop recording after approx 10 seconds. I think its doing this as nothing is displayed on the screen (because its so dark)

Is there a way of stopping this???

(700D)

To be fair with a DSLR in video mode you are very unlikely to capture any DSO, they are just not bright enough, to capture DSOs via video you are going to need a long exposure modded webcam or a dedicated Astro webcam..

Well I can try :)

I've read that its because it cant write the data to the card quick enough so a class 6 card would be better that a class 4 that I'm using...

Hmm. If I shoot a video with the lens cap on, after 10 seconds a meter appears on the screen and a message comes up saying 'Movie recording  was stopped automatically'

It could be a feature on the camera which automatically stop things recording when it doesn't detect anything, so as it detected the light it didn't shut off.

Back in the day when I work for the Sony centre, the camcorders had a feature where if you weren't recording anything and it was facing pointed down for a curtain amount of time it would turn itself off.

Could be the same sort of principle.

Now I did think that but...

I just took a video with it pointing at the tv and it did the same thing, stopped after 15 seconds.

Did another one with the lens cap on and the same thing.

Oddly enough I was filming Jupiter with it last night for four minutes???!!!!

Tho only difference last night is that the lens was off it as it was attached to my scope. Gawd knows! :)

Archived