SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Full spectrum EOS 500D - any tips??

Welrod50

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I tried a search and drew a blank, so here goes...

I have tonight purchased a full spectrum modded 500D.  As a current unmodded Pentax user, I wonder if there are any considerations I need to be aware of with the new camera when it comes?

Mainly what I'm thinking is, as it's 'Full Spectrum' will I need to use any specific WB settings when I take the Flats etc etc. to prevent colour casts.  No problem if I do, but as a modified DSLR 'virgin' so to speak, I wonder if there is anything glaringly obvious I have overlooked??

I assume the light frames, darks and bias should be straightforward, ( the darks and bias easy enough as they'll all be black) ?

Thanks for the info in advance.  I am really looking forward to testing this out when it comes, as 10 minute subs of NGC7000 with the Pentax revealed very little!

Cheers

Scott :)

With a Newtonian scope you will be fine but with a refractor or lens (including a Barlow) you'll need to use an IR/UV cut filter.  This can be combined with a light pollution filter such as the Astronomik CLS CCD clip-in filter.  The CLS part of the model number specifies the LP reduction (very effertive on sodium and mercury street lights) and the CCD part that it blocks IR and UV.  Any optical system with significant glass in it will give star bloat if the IR and UV rays are allowed to get through.

OK, cheers for that.  I am already using Baader MPCC with 2" LP filter which works well enough on the Pentax, and will be transferred directly to the 500D when it comes. I am using 130 PDS Newt.  I reckon it should perform well enough.

I did 60 mins (only due to technical issues and then cloud) on horsehead last night (x6 10 min subs) with the unmodded Kr and it picked up the nebulosity pretty well. 

The 500d should be brill :)

Scott.

Archived