NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Replacement for ETX-80?

Hi all,

I'm sad to say that my little ETX may be on the way out as the company I purchased it from have stated its likely to be binned and a credit applied (which is nice as its the full amount).

Although its not the best scope in the world, it was my first and I felt it produced some wonderful wide open views and would love another scope that is as portable and fun to use as my ETX. To give you an idea, my scope sat in the kitchen next to the French doors and I would often take it out as soon as it got dark to the back garden. I'd be set up in minutes :)

The drawbacks for me were that it was prone to vibration and that it was obviously pretty small for planetary viewing. I like the fact that I can be up and running after about 20 minutes after leaving it outside with a refractor and it requires very little maintenance so I'd be looking for something similar. I'm thinking about 3 scopes as possible replacents which are all celestron.

Nexstar 102, 129 and 130 reflector. I would like to use it with my modded webcam for capturing the moon, planets and some DSO (yeah, very bold) and prefer to have a decent FOV so what would you recommend (these scopes are not set in stone so advice would be welcome!). I would like a grab and go so a DOB would be out of the equation due to size.

Thanks for reading and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stu

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

To be honest there is not a lot to match the ETX-80, most of the bigger scopes are Mak's on a goto mount.

What do they say is wrong with the 80?

If you want goto then it is either the Mak route with goto or a goto EQ mount, possibly one other option being the iOptron Cube and then get a scope to attach to that. Cost will be a fair bit higher (2x or more) but you get more of something that could suit your experience so far. Thinking the iOptron Cube and somnething like the Opticstar 80mm which is f/7(ish).

I am thinking of the refractor options as they have a fair field of view that the Maks don't. Having an ETX-70 and getting an ETX-105 I know there is a bigger difference then many expect in the ease of use. I do not think many realise how easy the 70's and 80's are to use.

If you went for the EQ mount and goto then again the cost is high, although something like the EQ5 means you may not want another mount in the future.

Besdies the ETX 70 I have I also have a Megrez 90 and if I went for a goto for that then I would probably get the iOptron, spent the time pricing it up and it looked good, but I already have the scope and the mount costs less then a 90mm ED scope. But to me that would be a progression from the 70 while maintining the "style" and ease.

Similar are the Heritage Virtuoso range from Skywatcher, about £200 and the 90mm Mak is close to the ETX but not goto unless you get the upgrade handset.

I really dread the day the ETX-70 dies on me, like you it was my first and is some 12 years old now.

Yeah I'm a little gutted about it. Its a motor failure to do with the gears themselves I believe and not the controller. Do you feel the nexstar 102 refractor would be a good choice. Will it be a similar experience? I believe the 127 mak has a narrower field of view and how would say using a 32mm eyepiece with that compare to my ETX?

Thanks for your help :)

I have the Heritage 130p and bought it due to it's portable size.

I now have it on a NexStar SLT for Video Astronomy. I don't know the current prices over there, but the Heritage here costs ~170€ = 140gbp and I think I have sen it for 120-130gbp in the UK.

The SLT GoTo Mount costs 200€/167gbp here. That is a total of 370€ while the SLT with 130 costs 360€/300gbp, so you basically get a dobsonian mount and SLT GoTo for the same price.

The open truss has disadvantages if you have street lights or such nearby. But with the cardboard tube mod it's working even from my balcony and thanks to the flextube mechanism I even get in focus with my DSLR. The other 130/650 newtonians usualy are troublesome unless you get the more expensive 130pds.

For planets only the 127 Mak would be a splendid solution though with the larger maks cool down time gets an issue, and the obsruction is relativly large as well. For the 5" Maks there is a T2-to-2" adapter AFAIK

The wide field view of the Heritage are stunning though- Even with 1.25" Eyepieces, thanks to the low focal length. For planetary it's not ideal but good up to around 160-180, mine works well at 200+x as well. Even if the mirror is not as good it will still be an improvement compared to 70mm aperture.

I would not get the short refractor for moon and planets (color fringe). :-)

I think I may go with the Mak 127 if my Meade is classed as DOA. Do you think the cool down time will be an issue? I live in the UK (Glasgow) and It'll be stored next to the French doors so its always freezing here anyway haha. I've read some conflicting reports saying 10 minutes to an hour.

If its near the outside and already cold then it shouldn't be too bad, mine took about 90 minutes from a warm room but when I left it near the extension window (pretty cold) it was more like 30 minutes. It only needs cool down for high mags so you could scan around the moon while its cooling.

Do you still have the scope and would you recommend it? I have some light pollution so most of my observation will be planetary and perhaps m31 and some DSO's if that's possible. Also, how portable is it? Thanks

So, I think it's between The NexStar 127SLT or the NexStar 4SE.  Can anyone give me an indication as to which would would be better.  I understand the 4SE has a better tripod which would be good for my webcam but how is it suited for planetary and DSO etc?

Thanks for all the help.

Archived