NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 8SE Location problem

I have recently purchased a new Nexstar 8se but due to cloudy skies haven't had the chance of using it, but i have been familiarising myself with the hand controller  and functionality.   I have set up the time, date and location etc.  However a couple of days later when I powered up and went to Sky Align, according to the manual, I should have had the opportunity to either keep the previous location or change it but, it doesn't display the location at all, instead it shoes the time and if I cycle through using 'Enter' I can change other settings but not location.  I have found by doing a factory reset i can then enter the location again but once set it can't be changed after switching off and back on except through factory reset.

The handset is the latest version which has a 'back' button rather than and 'Undo', and the bottom left hand button is the Celestron logo rather than 'Info'

I would be grateful if anyone has any advise

I struggle(d) with this, I don't have access to the scope at the moment, so this is a guess. However I am sure I have pressed "Back" when asked to enter the time and it took me back to the location section.

You are both right once it powers up I selected Sky Align and then when the time appeared pressed 'Back' and Long/Lat appeared - many thanks!!

On another issued is it OK to manually rotate the Alt, the Az won't rotate manually but the Altitude does and it's handy to be able to do this so that it goes back in the polystyrene in the box?

No Craig, unfortunately you can't rotate the azimuth axis manually, only through the motor drive. :smiley:

Really?  On my 8SE the altitude is on a slipper clutch and can be moved by hand, obviously this would destroy any alignment while in use but I don't see any reason why it can't be moved when the unit is switched off.  I think you are supposed to level it (the two arrows line up) before powering on, or maybe that was just for when you have a wedge.  It's at this point that I get confused by goto mounts.

Archived