NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron starfinder scope problemo

Hi there, I have just purchased a second hand Celestron Nexstar 6SE and took it out to have a quick butchers at Jupiter last night.  I thought I'd forget doing a star alignment etc but for now just align my finder with my main scope.  I centred the moon in the main scope and then started to align my finder also on the moon.  The side wheel is moving the red dot left and right fine but I can't lower the red dot on to target,  it's about  a cm or more above the top edge of the moon.  That's the closest I can get it, I'm at the end of play on the thumbscrew at the rear and any way the barrel casing at the front is in contact with the mount brackets upper edge and the ramp at the back is also in contact.  Before getting the 'Stanley' out I'm wondering if any one else has had this problem and how they overcame it.  The moon and Jupiter are fine (nice big bodies, can do line of sight near enough) but the small faint stuff, I'm going to need an aligned finder scope for definite.

Thanks in anticipation

Lee (not quite Mack the knife......yet)

I've had. Red dot finder where the small hump that holds the led part was pushed in slightly (if that makes sense) I has to pull it back up to make it align.

Failing that try shimming the bracket.

good luck with an otherwise really nice scope

Thanks White Dwarf and baggywrinkle, in a way it's a bit reassuring that others have had the same problem as me, and it's not that I've displeased the Gods in any way.  I think I'll try the shim under the rear of the mount but this has to be under the mounting plate as there's nothing I can do with the actual bracket of the scope as it is dovetailed. Many thanks  to both of you.............wanders looking for something to act as a shim  :rolleyes:

I've had. Red dot finder where the small hump that holds the led part was pushed in slightly (if that makes sense) I has to pull it back up to make it align.

Failing that try shimming the bracket.

good luck with an otherwise really nice scope

I have the 6SE and I put some card under the rear of the RDF mount as a shim to give some more adjustment.

Thanks guys meant to quote in my above post............doh!

Archived