NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First try at Pleades

voeole

Well it's a start!

Have you polar aligned your mount?  That's really important if you are not autoguiding.

How long are your exposures?  It's worth downloading Deep Sky Stacker (it's free) which will allow you to digitally 'stack' all of your exposures...  That will improve your signal to noise ratio and you can then explore 'stretching' your image to bring out faint details...

hi Vladimir, what length were the exposures and did you go through the alignment procedure for the mount?

The Celestron NexStar 127 SLT is on Alt-Azimuth mount so no polar alignment problems, but there will be field rotation for longer exposures. also the focal length of the scope is 1500mm i believe, which is very long and not very suitable for imaging deep sky objects.

it would make a very good planetary imaging scope though, when used with a webcam.

hi Vladimir, what length were the exposures and did you go through the alignment procedure for the mount?

The Celestron NexStar 127 SLT is on Alt-Azimuth mount so no polar alignment problems, but there will be field rotation for longer exposures. also the focal length of the scope is 1500mm i believe, which is very long and not very suitable for imaging deep sky objects.

it would make a very good planetary imaging scope though, when used with a webcam.

exposure was around 15-20 seconds.

I align it by SkyAlign option - with three bright stars.After that i connect scope to Stellarium and point it to Pleades.Try to make tracking by option in Hand control of the scope - but no succes i think..After each shot i point the scope again by Stellarium.

Was it windy?

A little bit

The Alt-Azimuth mount is going to cause field rotation for longer exposures. The focal length of the scope is 1500mm is very long for imaging deep sky objects.

have you considered using a webcam ? it would make a very good planetary imaging scope.

Field rotation?  Yeah, but not for 30 second exposures, even at 1500mm.

As Glappkaeft has said, looks like something was buffeting the mount: either wind or it's been knocked...

As Glappkaeft has said, looks like something was buffeting the mount: either wind or it's been knocked...

i can not imagine the tracking being good enough to get 30 sec exposures at that focal length, i would agree though that images shown do look like they maybe have been knocked.

The Alt-Azimuth mount is going to cause field rotation for longer exposures. The focal length of the scope is 1500mm is very long for imaging deep sky objects.

have you considered using a webcam ? it would make a very good planetary imaging scope.

Dont have a webcam ,only Eos 1100d trying capture images with it at the moment.

This is my first try at Jup.

But iam thinking about buying Celestron neximage cam..

i know that Celestron have special sponges to keep mount steady,does they realy helps?

thats quite a nice start, both Equatorial Belts are nicely visible. i really do think that the webcam/planet route would be much easier and more rewarding.

the scopes long focal really would need guiding to get exposures anywhere near 60 seconds and at F11 i dont see that producing very good images. 

that said, there are some good DSO images produced with this scope. the choice is yours really, i just think that you will endure a frustrating time trying to use it for this type of imaging.

Archived