Beginner needs advice on binoculars

Hi,

I originally posted my question to another thread, but realised that was probably a bad idea as the last posting in that thread was February 2012!!

My apologies if you've already read my question before.

I am new to Astronomy. I attended a great one-day introductory course run by The City Lit in London. We were advised to get hold of some binoculars (and Sir Patrick Moore's book) and go out there to look around before thinking about telescopes and other (more expensive) equipment.

Having decided to take this advice, I'm not sure which binoculars to get. I've got some cheap and nasty 10x50s already, but they put a coloured ring around objects when I use them terrestrially so goodness knows what they would do for astronomical use.

I've got a flexible budget (up to £250) and I've already got a decent Manfrotto camera tripod (which I hope to use with the new binoculars).

My questions boil down to:

1) Is Celestron a good make of Binoculars for Astronomical use?

2) If not (or even if so), are there other makes that are as good or better (Meade etc)?

3) Are there any makes that stand out as exceptional (even if I have to wait and save up)?

4) Are there any makes to steer clear of (eg Sakura - which seem too cheap to be true)?

5) Will a decent camera tripod be OK when using binoculars for Astronomy or do I need to think about a special tripod too?

6) I can get the Celestron 20x80s from Amazon for about £110, but the 25x100s cost almost £250 - are they worth it for the extra magnification and light gathering?

My initial interest in Astronomy started when I saw some of the amazing photographs of galaxies etc. One day I hope to be able to do something similar - although I do recognise that I will need a whole different set of equipment (and experience and patience) before that becomes a possibility. In the meantime, I'll be happy with seeing things in our own Solar System.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Mike

I use binoculars the same as bird watchers do, hold in my hands and look through them.

The reason for a tripod is to prevent shake which starts about 15x. Have used a set of 12x and they seemed OK. but it was not on the sky.

I would have thought that getting used to the sky is easiest with hand held ones.

So my opinion is get a decent set of birding binoculars, add in a guide to the sky (constellations) and what is in each constellation and go stand outside freezing looking at the sky.

I use Bushnell 8x42's, either H2O's ot Natureviews, both are roof prism.

A set of 15x will not really get you detail on anything, Jupiter is a small disk in 8x or 15x, no bands and both will show the moons as bright dots arranged round Jupiter.

You will see clusters through either, M42 is a strange fuzzy thing, and M31 you need a dark sky to get much out of it.

To get to the stage of Jupiters bands you really need around 50x and for Saturns rings about double say 100x, 80x might manage the rings. Both are beyond binoculars you are considering.

I am a newbie so I have not that much knowledge. Last night, since the weather was clear after the snow, I went out with my telescope and took a look at Jupiter. Then I remembered I had a pair of binoculars that we bought to see the launch of the Atlantis shuttle but I had not used since then. They were not expensive but I was surprised that I could see the stars clear. I tried to look at Jupiter again but it looks like a star, I thought I saw one of the moons of Jupiter but it was probably my imagination. For some reason, stars like Betelgeuse and Aldebaran looked kind of faded through the binoculars but the blue stars were really bright. I used my cellphone application as a guide, it is really helpful. 

Good advice already given.  These http://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics-binoculars/william-optics-10x50-7x50-ed-binocular.html 10 x 50s are within your budget, perhaps not ideal for general use because of the individual eyepiece focusing, but ideal for astronomy because of the rugged construction, and once you are focused on the sky, don't need to refocus for different objects.

Regards, Ed.

Barr and Stroud 10x56 ED.

Crystal clear bright views and no chromatic aberration .

It was a toss up for me between those and the Williams Optics

I chose the barr and Strouds because I also use them terrestially and the individual eye piece focusing would have been a pain.

You need a robust and high-quality tripod or monopod to hold binoculars. Manfrotto are certainly quality, but I don't know how robust your one is. Binoculars are quite heavy, and when they're tilted up towards the sky the weight is put off balance. A good rule of thumb I reckon is that a tripod that's up to the job will have cost as much as the binoculars themselves. (Well, unless you get really high-end bins.)

You also need an L-bracket to fix the binoculars to the tripod. Not expensive, but do get a nice solid metal one!

Anyway, I'd say start with a good pair of 10x50s. Lower power means a wider field of view, making stuff easier to find, and lighter weight makes them practical to handhold and more manageable on a tripod. While I like the views in my 15x70s, I don't think I'd have enjoyed them as a novice, they're just that bit trickier to use, and 20x80 or 25x100 would have a yet steeper learning curve.

Thank you everyone, for the great advice.

I've decided to give my existing 10x50s a try (once the cloud cover goes away!!).

If they're no good, then I'll take a look at a good pair (Celestron, Barr & Stroud, Williams etc) - preferably somewhere where I can give them a try.

@NGC1502 - I've ordered the Steve Richards book (although the practical application is for a time in the future when I've progressed beyond absolute beginner - I thought that I would enjoy reading up on astrophotography now).

Once again - thanks very much.

Archived