NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-Watcher Explorer-130 or Skywatcher Skyliner 150P

Hey, I am looking to buy my first telescope, but I am stuck between two, I like both of them but my biggest issue is whether the price difference is really worth it, the two telescopes are:

Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

or

Skywatcher Explorer 130 EQ2

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sky-watcher-130-explorer-newtonian-reflector-telescope/p1017011

I have seen very good reviews for each telescope and I am trying to figure out is the extra 60-70£ worth it.

Basically take the stand out of the equation, and just the scope if I was to get the Explorer, what can it not do/see etc that the Skyliner can, and are those extra things it can do/see worth that extra price.

The stands I currently don't mind about, becuase if they are similar in what they can do, I can deal with a worse stand and a cheaper price.

Hope someone can help, thanks for reading. :)

Mark719...........Hi. Welcome. If you just want to observe ( no photography ) both scopes will be ok, but better to get the 150 (my opinion) More aperture allows you to see fainter objects, under the right conditions. The Dobsonian mount of the 150 is a solid no-nonsense setup , against the EQ mount (which drive me insane?) If you can afford a little more the 8" 200P would be my advice, But the 150 (6") is a good starter scope.

The 150 has a parabolic mirror which is better. Im trying to find out if the 130 is corrected with a Bird-Jones barlow. If it is stay clear!

The 130 is the F=900mm type. Given the length of the tube it does not seem like a version with internal Barlow. I would tend to prefer the 150 dob. Very good all-round scope, easier to set up. I do not mind EQ mounts, although with Newtonians the EP can end up in awkward positions.

Mark719...........Hi. Welcome. If you just want to observe ( no photography ) both scopes will be ok, but better to get the 150 (my opinion) More aperture allows you to see fainter objects, under the right conditions. The Dobsonian mount of the 150 is a solid no-nonsense setup , against the EQ mount (which drive me insane?) If you can afford a little more the 8" 200P would be my advice, But the 150 (6") is a good starter scope.

The 150 has a parabolic mirror which is better. Im trying to find out if the 130 is corrected with a Bird-Jones barlow. If it is stay clear!

How much better is the 200P compared to the 150P? Can you see much further and clearer? or just a bit?

In this game, aperture is all important when it comes to viewing faint objects in the sky. I observe from a fairly  light polluted , back garden. I was taken in by the reviews, and have been happy with the scope since October. The Moon is brilliant using my 8mm eyepiece, Jupiter is amazing, and I can see M31 Andromeda, to name but a few. However, everyone has been saying how good this scope is? Why wasn't I seeing the same? Light pollution is the answer. I recently went and viewed from a substantially darker site, and was blown away again, M31 in all its glory, you just cant see all the nebula against polluted skies. The difference between the 150 - 200 is quite substantial. The 8" (200P) is also one of the UK's best selling telescopes.

You clearly wont get Hubble type images, but there are many, many users, using  the 200P Dobsonian on this site. Its a telescope that will last a long time. Its the sort of scope that people jump too after their initial purchased scope. The 10" 250P and higher just get even better, but more expensive, and heavier too. You still want to be able to move the thing about.

I dont think the 130 you mention is of the Bird-Jones type.( that is  a type of corrector lens to make believe the telescope is really bigger than it thinks it is, in simple terms, and best avoided)

If you get a 150 or 200 or higher, get one with a'P' on the end ie. 200P. Its the better mirror (parabolic)

I also had  a Celestron 127EQ this Year (my first second hand telescope) that gets good reports from the vendors, but someone's lying? Its similar to your 130, but mine has the Corrector lens! The difference is Day and Night with my 200P.

150P to 200P => about 75% more "photons", still what you can see largely dictated by sky conditions etc also

130P to 150P => about 30%

they get increasingly bigger, particularly the 200P. If you're only interested in visual (not imaging) either the 150P or 200P dob would be ideal, the 200 being that bit better. The 130P is fine but would mean you could get it on a cheap EQ mount without too much cost. In all cases probably avoid the longer focal length (non -P variant) Skywatchers if you can as they are not so good image quality wise.

I have a 150mm and a 200mm newtonian and I think the bigger scope is significantly better, especially when looking for faint objects but also at seeing detail on planets and splitting double stars in good conditions. To me, it's also better at showing the colours of stars. Although it doesn't seem that much difference in size a 200mm scope gathers more than 70% more light than a 150mm, all other things being equal and that's what makes the difference. However a 150mm will also show you plenty.

I went from a 6" F/8 scope (much like the 150P) to an 8" scope and the difference is big. In the 6" globular clusters like M13 looked mainly like balls of fuzz, with a hint of granularity. When I got my C8 (8" SCT on EQ mount) I pointed it at M13 first, and the sight took my breath away: it looked like an explosion of stars. On other objects the difference is less pronounced. An 8" Dobsonian is not just a starter scope: I have been observing with an 8" scope (and some smaller kit besides) for over 18 years now (with varying degrees of intensity), and have seen just over 800 deep sky objects with it. I am still finding new stuff. My C8 is actually lighter and more compact than the 6" it replaced, but that extreme compact build does carry a fairly hefty price tag. The 8" Dob is visually just as good as the C8, and should keep you happy for years (or until aperture fever strikes again (which it will :D)).

The Skywatcher 'Skyliner' 200P comes in two LARGE boxes. After reading the instructions it should be assembled ( The Dobsonian Mount) in about 40 mins, less even. It comes with 2 Eyepieces that are ready to go. A 10mm and a 25MM. These  lenses work, but are generally the first upgrades you may consider, manufacturers generally dont supply you with the best lenses, in the hope that you will spend a little more during upgrades, their all the same? The 25mm is fine, Just change the 10mm, as you'll  find out from suggestions from others here. This sites sponsor  FLO or Pulsar optical provide decent prices, one slightly cheaper ? There are other  accessories that can be purchased at a later date, or you can customise the scope by internal treatments  ie. flocking (light absorbent materials # the extremes of customising? ) The other thing to consider. There's going to be some upgrades this Month, so there might be some SH bargains soon. That just brings the price down. The only other thing with reflectors is collimation. At some stage, you will have to fine tune your telescope. There are several sites that explain. One to consider is by Astro Baby. 

So tempted to just go for it and get the 200P, if it would really last me years and is as good as people say, I think it may be worth it completely.

.........Like I said earlier, Conditions have to be right. My initial thoughts of the scope were good, I suffer from light pollution, street lights and neighbours security lights, But I still see stuff,  Having been to a darker site, I had that Wow! factor again. I have sites in mind that should be totally dark. The Wow! can only get better? If your site conditions are less than perfect, dont shed a tear, but if your conditions are perfect, Woohoo!

Many users will suggest eyepiece upgrades, various brands included,They can be from as little as £20 to over £600?. I'm using the BST Starguiders, their £49 each from Alan @ Skies_unlimited (ebay). They suit me perfect. I got the 25mm for a lot less from someone selling up!. A Telrad  will be recommended. Its a reflex sighting system that effectively places a rifle target up in the sky, over the stars. Its a great help in Star hopping? Ive been trying to not be tempted, but alas, at the darker sites, it will be beneficial to me. Download Stellarium for Free. No fees, Excellent visual aid to astronomy. 

.........Like I said earlier, Conditions have to be right. My initial thoughts of the scope were good, I suffer from light pollution, street lights and neighbours security lights, But I still see stuff,  Having been to a darker site, I had that Wow! factor again. I have sites in mind that should be totally dark. The Wow! can only get better? If your site conditions are less than perfect, dont shed a tear, but if your conditions are perfect, Woohoo!

Many users will suggest eyepiece upgrades, various brands included,They can be from as little as £20 to over £600?. I'm using the BST Starguiders, their £49 each from Alan @ Skies_unlimited (ebay). They suit me perfect. I got the 25mm for a lot less from someone selling up!. A Telrad  will be recommended. Its a reflex sighting system that effectively places a rifle target up in the sky, over the stars. Its a great help in Star hopping? Ive been trying to not be tempted, but alas, at the darker sites, it will be beneficial to me. Download Stellarium for Free. No fees, Excellent visual aid to astronomy. 

OK Thank you for your help and suggestions, I am placing my order of the 200P sometime today, and £279 is the best price I can find, unless you know otherwise.

Archived