SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A poor IC2118 Witches Head

SteveL

This thing is INCREDIBLY dim.... I dont think I have ever imaged anything this dim before, and I wish I`d known so I could have moved on to something else :D

Anyway, here we go:

OTA: NS8GPS @ f/2 (Hyperstar v3)

Guiding: William Optics ZenithStar 66 SD + DSI-C + PHD

RGB Imaging: QHY8 + MaximDL, 38 x 180s, CLS filter

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker (2x drizzle)

Post Process: ImagesPlus (3x3 bin) + PSCS2 + Noel Carboni’s AstroTools

I definitely need longer subs, and actually get out earlier to get a longer run on it. Oh, and I need to centre/align is better on the chip, I *SHOULD* be able to get all of it in one go, but we shall see. The thing is that its SOOO deep that you cant even get a small hint of its location, even with 2 min 4x4 bin subs during focusing, so alignment will have to using the starfield as reference.

ic2118_20080107.jpg

Oh you picked a hard one there Steve ,as you say its sooooo faint , i tried it with my fast star and had no luck , think this is best tackled using an old slr lens getting the field as you say its huge and looks only good with a really wide field,

Thinks the CLS should be fine as you are doing ,then going for it big time with 30 min subs if poss.

Rog

Archived