Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ EQ6 mains power

tyco

I have one of these from Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-97w-dc-fixed-voltage-bench-power-supply-xm21x

It has more than enough output for the mount, plus any dew heaters etc. You will just need to make a suitable cable (I stick to the cigarette lighter style so I can still use the mount at a dark site powered by my car), I got a pre-made one from Amazon market place for a few pounds. The wire is thin enough to pass through my window seals, thus the power supply sits indoors and I have a long cable out to my garden when in use.

FLO also sell them I believe.

I cut the end off the laptop output lead, and have connected that to a three-way 12v femalre cigeratte lighter socket splitter. The dew controller and mount then plug into this. This all sits inside a plastic box. My measurements of output voltage during various conditions (dew tapes on/off, mount slewing etc) show the voltage is pretty stable at 14.6 to 14.7. Both the dew controller and the mount leads are fused. 6 amps yes, so I am pretty that is sufficient to meet all the needs. As you say, laptops are often in excess of £1000, and I'm not sure there is another fuse between a laptop lead and the laptop, where there is on my mount.

James

Archived