Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

30mm focal length and gravity

Schorhr

It was nice to have a wide field for a change, getting whole constellations into view.

Unfortunately I managed to get the laptop to fall off the balcony table, but only a power supply was damaged, the other cables where long enough :-)

So only little images to show, and not enough to stack.

3D printed adapter to connect a Canon EF kit lens 18-55;

cs-pd1-ef-mounted_.jpg

I made it a bit short, focus can be reached between 30-55mm.

Crop factor: ~8x.

Single frame, gamma/contrast up, else no editing

orionlong.png

Playing around with the settings...

orion.png

orion-.png

orion1.png

Sense up magic!

Capture%2001.12.2013%2023_57_23.png

Capture%2001.12.2013%2023_56_30.png

plejaden0.png

plejaden1.png

~30mm/16x Sense-up vs. 55mm/8x

plejaden_16mm_16x.png

plejaden_55mm_8x.png

Too bad I did not manage to get the orion galaxy and some others into view. But I'll solder the power supply and then I should be all set to give it a go again.

The next project will be to build a barndoor and get a cheap faulty zoom 200mm lens off ebay to use as optic.

It's useful having a shorter focal length lens, try it on  Andromeda and the Triangulum galaxy's if you haven't already :smiley: It may not make a difference but I would black out the insides of your lens adapter, there may be some stray light getting back to the ccd which would reduce contrast on the image. 

Yes, I was going to point it at Andromeda, but then my laptop crashed... onto the ground ;-)

I will blacken the adapter, I was just eager to give it a try. The coating takes a while to dry throughout.

Though it's worse during the day (I did coat my EF-to-1.25 adapter because of this), it was actually not as bad as I had expected it when I tried with this camera :-)

Archived