Eskimo Nebula

Scooot

I noticed last night, after centring Jupiter and then looking through the finder, the Eskimo was in the bottom left of the finder at about 7 o'clock. It was probably around 9pm I was looking. So given its proximity to the great planet, for those without goto its a lot easier to find at the moment.

It was quite prominent but the view became a lot better with a UHC filter.

Bagged it last night, the moon was out, observing conditions were rather good though and with a UHC it showed up rather well, even pushed it to 200x in the 10 inch, though coupled with the pentax 10.5 it showed excellent definition, even if it was rather small.  A beautiful object, a clear sort of ring around a centre  :smiley:

I like your description, a fuzzy patch with a bright nucleus, that nails it :smiley: Should be to push that mag  up, I found out this was borne out in practice, surface brightness is quite high, though listed in stellarium as Mag 10, surface brightness is around 16.2.

Archived