Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lovejoy in CdeC or Stellarium

I cannot get Comet Lovejoy to appear in either of the above planetarium software.

I have tried searching for both Lovejoy and  C/2013 R1....Neither sees either.

CdeC does show C/2013 A1 (Siding Spring), C/2013 B2 (Catalina), C/2013 C2 (Tenagra), C/2013 D1 (Holvorcem) and C/2013 E1 (McNaught) but no Lovejoy (or Ison come to that). Stellarium shows three comets...Panstarrs, Lemmon and Ison.

Do I need a more extensive catalogue? If so, could someone give an idiot's guide to how to add that information?

Thanks

Steve

Reload the comets catalogue with the latest data.  I think its Setup>Solar System>Comets and then click the tab to find "Load MPC file"  Then goto data maintenance and delete the OLD (!!) file in the dropdown box then "apply".  Just done mine as I type this and Lovejoy is there.

Edit  - Forgot to say -  I'm talking CdC     :iamwithstupid: DoH!!!!

I've tried this and still nothing but then I'm bound to get it wrong!

Ahhh....But I just tried looking in that drop down and Voila!  Lovejoy!! Appropriate name at the moment. Don't yet know why the search box isn't finding it but thanks Roger for showing me an insight to CdeC.

Nice one, fella!

Steve

For Stellarium:

Configuration - Solar System Editor - Configure - Solar System tab - Import Orbital Elements in MPC Format - Online Search tab - type in "lovejoy" - click search button - select search result and enter.

Lovejoy should now be available in the search function. 

For Stellarium:

Configuration - Solar System Editor - Configure - Solar System tab - Import Orbital Elements in MPC Format - Online Search tab - type in "lovejoy" - click search button - select search result and enter.

Lovejoy should now be available in the search function. 

Phew!!  Got there but that was tricky!

Many thanks , Paul. Wouldn't have done that on my own.

What a great site this is!!

Clear skies!

Steve

Phew!!  Got there but that was tricky!

Many thanks , Paul. Wouldn't have done that on my own.

What a great site this is!!

Clear skies!

Steve

Glad it worked!

If at the point where you selected the "online search" you instead selected "list" - click the "comets" button - then the button "download list from internet" and selected "MPC's observable comets" in the drop down menu, you could have download a shed load of comets all in one go. But I thought you might be better saving that until more familiar with things :)

Archived