NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Are t-adapters safe?

NIGHTBOY

Just been looking at some barlows that have t adapters slot into them, this means that your dslr is held in by the single screw in the Barlow. Is this safe or do you guys get barlowed where the threads are part of the actual barlow itself, not the adapter that slots into it.

Mine is held on with 3 allen set screws. Check check and double check! Before every session! One advantage to the set screws is i can make small adjustments for misalignment to the adaptor if my stars are a bit wonky on the edges.

I use 2 screws, but I'm very careful to check they are tightened properly in case the camera ends upside down during a session. No problems so far, but I always wrap the camera strap securely around the viewfinder as a safety precaution.

Brenda

Thanks guys. I've ordered a astara 3x off that well know auction site, I will be using it with my dslr on my 200p dob for some single snap shots of planets. Is a bahnitov mask a must???

For DSO images where you can get clean diffraction patterns off bright stars a Bahtinov mask is a very great help, but for planets I don't find it much use at all. I find it easier to zoom right in on the screen and tweak it from there.

i did find that the stock t adaptor that came with my scope was too shallow, and when I got my new 2" barlow, the camera actually could fall out (!).  Bought a much longer nosepiece, about 1.5" deep and it's much better, and added benefit that it's threaded to take filers.  +1 for wrapping the camera strap round something.

Archived