NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan/Skyscan/Skyalign question

Yes it is possible :D

Cheers for the reply, Kev.

Is your answer based on experience? If so, are there any must-dos or mustn't-dos in the setting-up process, or should I just RTFM?

Stef

Lo Stef

Yes to the first part as I had the same thought and had a go at it. I used the middle focusing point to center the stars and did a three star align and it worked no problem. Focus will be the most fun, with a 300mm lens it should be easy but it's a bit trial and error. I even managed to get the auto-focus to work eventually but not on every star and not with all lenses tried, it was good practice for focussing the camera on the Astrotrac :?

That's a cool idea! Necessity is indeed the mother of invention, eh?

I'm off to make an observatory from some sticky-back plastic, a cereal box and a pair of Val's old knickers. :rolleyes:

I say steady on old chap :D them nickers might come in handy for something else :rolleyes: eh! what :?

Another thought. One of the members of our club machined a piece of Delrin to fit into the flash hotshoe on top of the camera and mounted a laser pointer as a finder and it seems to work very well. :D

I use a similar method i just balance may laser pointer on top of the shoe plate and it works a treat for centring an image. I suggested a bracket for a RDF or Laser to Richard when I met him at Kelling Heath.

Regards

Kevin

Another thought. One of the members of our club machined a piece of Delrin to fit into the flash hotshoe on top of the camera and mounted a laser pointer as a finder and it seems to work very well. :D

I use a similar method i just balance may laser pointer on top of the shoe plate and it works a treat for centring an image. I suggested a bracket for a RDF or Laser to Richard when I met him at Kelling Heath.

Regards

Kevin

RDF :rolleyes: makes more sense than a laser as You couldn't be accused of ruining someones 30 minute exposure with a red dot on a screen :rolleyes: One of the el cheepo RDF units would be nice and lite and could probably stay on after alignment. Magic Kevin, much safer than the laser idea and a cheaper option to boot. :shock: We always seem to go for the difficult and expensive options before finding out later that a cheaper and easier option was staring us right in the face all along :?

Cheers

Kev

Archived