NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wish you were here?

Peter Drew

I'm in Tenerife at the moment, if it's any consolation it's pouring with rain! at least it's warm rain. Mainly here for solar observing with an 80mm PST mod, seeing conditions are so-so until late afternoon due to the heat (23c-25c) but from then on good until sunset just before 6.00pm.

One of the best views I've had of Venus a couple of evenings ago with a Meade 90mm Mak at 150x, crystal clear image with very sharp pointed cusps. Up at 3.00am this morning for views of Orion and jupiter, Not the best transparency due to something in the air recently but very steady seeing. M42 was magnificent in my C8 with E and F stars easily seen in the Trapezium at the most suitable magnification of around 125X, any more or less rendered them harder to see, worth experimenting if you've had difficulty seeing them. Initially collimated the C8 on Sirius which is high in the sky here and strange to see it not scintillating. Jupiter was almost directly overhead which made it difficult to centre due to "Dobson's Hole" but once in view showed excellent detail, pity the GRS etc was not on view at this time. Clouded later to produce this mornings rain.

No chance of seeing ISON from this location due to being at sea level West of Teide.  :smiley:

Ahhh the joy of it! You are truly blessed and hope you get the most of it. Definitely on my to do list now the penny has dropped and realized we have friends out there. They have a guest house and live way up In the foothills away from the bright lights. Sea views are stunning so the skies must be great. Enjoy!

Archived