Telescope For Nine Year Old Grandson

I wondered if anyone can point me to a very inexpensive first telescope for my nine year old grandson. A bit below all of your normal standards I'm sure, but I don't know the first thing about them. He'd be watching out to sea, birds, landscape and maybe the moon or an odd comet. I hope this doesn't sound stupid and that you can help. Thank you.

The thing about a telescope is that the view will be upside down. Not a problem for seeing things in space but it will be if he will be looking out to sea and at birds. Maybe a nice set of binoculars would be a good idea? How much roughly would you like to spend?

Hi Honda,

There is no such thing as a stupid question. I wonder if a pair of 10 x 50 binoculars would be more suitable than a scope - its how I started out, and they still get a good bit of use as well as my scope. My pair cost me less than £30, although you can certainly pay much more. They're by no means the best pair around, but they are plenty good enough for what I wanted them for. I have seen star clusters, the moons of Jupiter and much more with them. The other option would perhaps be a small spotting scope, but it may be better to contact your local astronomy store to see what their range is!

Regards,

CJ.

From what you describe I would suggest a spotting scope, not a telescope - the inversion of the image for land based objects would make it a bad idea.

Would do for things like the moon and general observing, depending on the scope Jupiter may display a band, however Saturn would be too much for one.

Orion Nebula should just be visible and a funny splodge. Orions belt good, some double stars (especially if different colours) and globular+open clusters.

Not sure whose spotting scope however.

I have a small Bushnell that is good, but have a search - look at the bird watching offerings.

P.S. Any particular budget ?

These may be close to you: http://www.binoculars-uk.co.uk

At least a place/site to look.

I would agree that for the uses you are suggesting, a small spotting scope would make sense. Astronomical scopes normal reverse or invert images depending on the scope type so are not so good for use on daytime targets.

Either a spotting scope of the type normally used by bird watchers, or a small Astro scope like an ST80 with a 45 degree prism in it, which will give images which are the correct way round and up.

Any idea of your budget?

Cheers,

Stu

Thank you all. We don't have any telescopic outlets anywhere near us, I'm afraid. I did see a reference from the Independent mentioning - please sit down before you read - a Bunkerbound Telescope! Am I way off the mark for a little boy with immense curiosity? I'll look up spotter scopes and see what I can learn. Thank you.

whilst I agree with the points above about Binoculars, there are also some quite good small achromatic telescopes (with erect image diagonals) around that are worth considering.

I recently brought one of the Celestron Travelscope 70s - primarilly to use as a guide scope - however I have to say the views are very good for the money.

http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-travel-scope-70.html   these retail for around £ 49!

My own review and lots of pictures - http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/191968-unboxing-celestron-travelscope-70/?hl=%2Btravelscope+%2B70#entry2021202

Meant to add that this will give very presentable terrestrial views and can be much improved with standard EPs/accessories.

Archived