NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Hyperion

Over the years i have built up a reasonable collection of ep's,some though are rubbish,especially when i started out i bought too many cheapos thinking i was getting a bargain when in fact all i got was something that resembled looking through the bottom of a coke bottle.

Anyway i am thinking of upgrading the Rubbish ones which i never use anyway and i really like the look of the Baader Hyperions,i have a couple of Orion Stratus ep's and like the sharp widefield view you get.Baader Hyperions offer the same apparent FOV and i would really like to get a complete set of widefield ep's that are all the same make.

So my ? is ,those of you who have Baader Hyperions,what do you think of them,also has anyone used the 36mm Hyperion Aspheric?

In my F10 scope I cannot fault them, but the views of someone with a faster scope would be needed to get all the info you need.

I find them to be sharp to the edges, as wide as necessary and very comfortable to use.

I haven't tried the aspheric ones, but would love to!

I've got Hyperions and for the money (especially as they're on offer atm), you can't really fault them. In my f5 Newt they do go 'off' a bit at the edges (outer 5 - 10%) but it's no huge issue. In my slower scopes, no problems at all with them. From what I've read, if you use them as a 2" EP they are not great in scopes faster than f7 so you may want to bear that in mind.

I think the Orion Stratus and the Hyperions are the same are they not?

Tony..

right you are, Tony, but of course they're similar and not the same... :D namely I think Baader use their own (and very good they are too) "Phantom" coatings.

I can confirm that the Hyperions work very well in fast scopes too if you don't mind a little field curvature and if your eyes are fussy, like mine, you might notice some kidney beaning, but this is evidently not a common complaint.

And what Tony means by using them as 2" EPs is removing the 1.25" barrel and last group of lenses from the eyepiece and using the rest of it. This reduces the quality somewhat. However, you can of course use them both as 1.25" eyepieces and 2" as you like as they have both barrels.

What I would like to know is: are they parfocal with the rest of the series? That is, when changing between them do you need to refocus? This might affect your decision.

HTH

Andrew

What I would like to know is: are they parfocal with the rest of the series? That is, when changing between them do you need to refocus? This might affect your decision.

They aren't mate, I've got all of 'em except the 24mm (and that's on the list) and when you're chopping and changing, you do need to re-focus.

Tony..

Having recovered from a recent "financial glitch", I now re-acquiring some Hyperions. I've never been in the "Nagler income bracket", but I've tried the usual... Antares - W70s, their SWA's, various Moonfish-y things etc. The Hyperions have always stood up well (equivalent/better) against such competition. :D

(As above) and for [my] primary use (in a SLOW Mak127) they are "faultless". In my F5 ST102 they seem to form a consistent SERIES where e.g. edge softness shows some sort monotonic progression. "No" problems with the 5 & 8mm, but from 13mm (and longer) such things do become noticable (the 17mm is REPUTED to be "slightly better"). But then it must be difficult to "factor out" the deficiencies of a "budget" ST102?

FWIW, this time around, I didn't re-buy the 21mm (the infamous "only 60 degrees" one. LOL) but now have the 24mm instead. I really did feel this one [iMO] stands up VERY well against the other Hyperions, albeit of simpler (non-Smyth etc.) design. It also gives my (much anticipated, twice as expensive!) 31mm "Aspheric" Hyperion a run for it's money and has most of the latter's TFoV! Hmmm...

Perhaps, and whatever, you're always going to get your "money's worth" (and a Plossl's worth of sharpness) with Hyperions of whatever ilk and wherever they are used! I see they seems to have "caught on" in the USA (according to CN threads) thanks to sale(?) over there. Must be rated as something of a minor EU triumph, among the die-hard Nagler-ites... [just teasing] :rolleyes:

Archived